Tank refinish need advice.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use ZRC Galvilite galvanize repair not the ZRC cold galvanize and not in a spray can. I get the stuff in a regular can and roll on 3 coats with a foam roller. You can't put on a thick enough coat with a couple of spray can. The roll on way is tough as nails.

ZRC - ZRC Galvilite Galvanizing Repair Compound

I used the galvilite in spray cans, but next time I'll try Captain's aproach, he's the one that mentioned the product in a thread I started a year or so ago when I did my tanks. I used more than an entire can on each tank, probably 4 coats, each very thin, and here's the important part, plenty of drying time between each coat. Then I let them sit for a week so the zinc could harden. It seems to take a long time for the zinc to react with the existing surface.

My tanks were painted over galvanizing, so I removed the paint and scuffed up the old galvanizing. They've held up pretty well, some scratches/marks/chips, but nothing down to bare metal. The beauty of the galvilite is that you can just retouch areas that need it.

I don't think the stuff is as durable as the current worthington hot dipped galvanizing, but it's probably the best you can do with old tanks. I did investigate having the tanks sprayed with some very expensive paint over the galvilite, and if you're looking to restore vintage tanks so that they look new, that would be the way to go. ZRC makes a straight zinc primer that would probably be the best for that. It was way too expensive for me, though, I don't really care what the tanks look like.

Maybe someday I'll do that for my bump-bottom kidde 72; it's kind of an unusual tank.

It'll probably make your tank less bouyant as well.

steel tanks are not buoyant

galvanzing purports to have the ability to "self-heal" but I have not personally observed this phenomon. .

Since I wrote that I've noticed that where the new hydro date was stamped on an old galvanized tank of mine it has gradually turned gray where I was expecting it to start rusting. No sign of rust!

Back
Top Bottom