Tank recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An alumionum tank is much easier to taek care of than an steel tank, and costs less. The AL80 is a "best buy," IF it holds enough gas. If you need a 100 cuft tank to "keep up with him, then a steel 100 is a mcuh nicer tank than an AL100, which is big and heavy.
I agree. I bought a steel 120 as a newbie. Was great for air, but heavy to walk around with any distance for an old guy anyway. Sold it and have 4 AL80s. It's also nice to not be changing weighting with all tanks the same.

Started with a used AL80. Lacked the 2nd dive option.
Bought a 2nd AL80 at a dive shop sidewalk sale. 2 tanks, much happier.
Started diving year round, que the cold water. Friend loaned me a steel 100 for a dive.
Went to the dive shop and bought a pair of steel 100s.
Knowing what I know now, (and not having the internet as available), I should have just started with the 100s. They are not difficult to take care of. Exterior, if I dove a lot of salt, might be an issue. Inside, as long as you are getting good fills, is a non-issue. Skip the hype that they are hard to take care of. In nearly 10 years of owning them (they are coming up on another hydro) I had to have the inside of one cleaned with a whip once as part of a regular visual inspection.

Started with a used AL80. Lacked the 2nd dive option.
Bought a 2nd AL80 at a dive shop sidewalk sale. 2 tanks, much happier.
Started diving year round, que the cold water. Friend loaned me a steel 100 for a dive.
Went to the dive shop and bought a pair of steel 100s.
Knowing what I know now, (and not having the internet as available), I should have just started with the 100s. They are not difficult to take care of. Exterior, if I dove a lot of salt, might be an issue. Inside, as long as you are getting good fills, is a non-issue. Skip the hype that they are hard to take care of. In nearly 10 years of owning them (they are coming up on another hydro) I had to have the inside of one cleaned with a whip once as part of a regular visual inspection.

I dive salt and have no issues with my steel tanks at all

The problem with 1 is there is only 1 dive available per day. The risk of little ponies running around is worth the risk to get a 2nd dive.
@Marie13 sorry, was making a joke that missed the mark. Little ponies being the offspring of 2 tanks...

... My brother is a certified diver and has been diving longer than me. He is likely to be the person that I dive with more often, and he dives an al80. I can’t decide whether or not to go with the same tank he has or go with a steel tank that will give me similar dive times as him. I have been looking at both, but never having bought a tank before I don’t know which style lasts longer and which will work better in this situation. We dive cold, fresh water for the most part with some hot springs mixed in at times.
Let's see: (a) Idaho cold, freshwater, recreational diving in a full, two-piece, thick wetsuit with hood and gloves. (b) Most likely to dive with your brother who uses an Al 80 (77.4 cu ft @ 3,000 psig). (c) Your height is 6'.

Some people above suggest a (steel) HP100. Let me suggest a (steel) HP80. I purchased my two HP80's (82 cu ft @ 3,500 psig) in 1987. Still love these little cylinders for three-season recreational dives in MO and AR lakes and quarries when I'm wearing a full, two-piece, thick wetsuit. (They are a bit too negatively buoyant for me, though, if I am wearing a thin, or no, wetsuit.)

ETA: If you decide to go with a HP cylinder, make sure your regulators are compatible.

rx7diver

I don't know of any modern regulator that is not compatible with the standard HP cylinders (3442 PSI). It is only when you get into the really high pressure stuff (not common here in the states) that you need a regulator for higher pressures. By higher pressures, 300 bar, 4500 PSI. Those are the ones that need the high pressure DIN connections (different from the regular DIN connections). Not normal North American stuff, so not a worry.

Let's see: (a) Idaho cold, freshwater, recreational diving in a full, two-piece, thick wetsuit with hood and gloves. (b) Most likely to dive with your brother who uses an Al 80 (77.4 cu ft @ 3,000 psig). (c) Your height is 6'.

Some people above suggest a (steel) HP100. Let me suggest a (steel) HP80. I purchased my two HP80's (82 cu ft @ 3,500 psig) in 1987. Still love these little cylinders for three-season recreational dives in MO and AR lakes and quarries when I'm wearing a full, two-piece, thick wetsuit. (They are a bit too negatively buoyant for me, though, if I am wearing a thin, or no, wetsuit.)

ETA: If you decide to go with a HP cylinder, make sure your regulators are compatible.

rx7diver
If it helps, I normally wear a 5 mm full suit with a hood and gloves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom