TANK RE-PAINTING QUESTIONS - Galvanize paint option?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

v101

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello -

I have a few LP 95's steel cyclinders the boots at the bottom have been removed, and its obvious that the previous owner must not have rinsed the tank so well after salt exposure. the bottom is peeling paint pretty badly.

W/ that said they have been recently hydro'd and viz'd and passed fine.

I want to remove the chipped/peeling paint, and refinish so they last me, and I was going to use emery paper, and then paint, but I was investigating the use of Galvanize paint.
Here was a brand I heard of:

Galvanize Paint - Chemicals & Paint | HUB Industrial Supply

Anyway every use any and if so what brand did you use/how did it last, did you have to get the tanks re-hydro'd?

any comments would like to hear them

Thanks

I once stripped a steel 72 then spray painted it with ZCR Gavalite.

The zinc didn't bond with the metal well. It came off on my hands for quite some time, but I think that might mostly be overspray. Currently, there's a few small patches of surface rust. The rust isn't getting worse, but it doesn't look the best. I think its possible that I didn't pre-treat the tank properly or something.

Looks crappy, but its functional. If I had it to do over again, I'd give it to someone who knows what they're doing.

Have the cylinders shot blasted then immediately spray with ZRC. Did this 10 years ago with 4 LP Faber 80's. No issues cave diving and bashing the lleh out of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I sprayed on some ZRC Galvilite where my tank was stamped with a new date after a hydro a few years ago and haven't done anything to it since, other than rinsing after diving in salt water. ZRC Galvilite® Galvanizing Repair

a steel tank from the POV of what you are trying to do is pretty much the same as a car.You need to remove all corrossion first then a corrossion preventative.Then primer then paint.

a steel tank from the POV of what you are trying to do is pretty much the same as a car.You need to remove all corrossion first then a corrossion preventative.Then primer then paint.
any recommendation on type/brand of primer and paint?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom