Tank questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stiebs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In the past I've only ever hired tanks, but I am now looking into purchasing one. I've done a lot of reading (mostly on scubaboard) and research, and I'm still a little confused.

Firstly, when I asked about LP/HP tanks, the guy at the LDS said that pretty much all tanks these days are HP. And considering that I have never personally seen a fill below 210 bar (3000psi), and everyone I know feels ripped off if they get anything below 220 (3200psi) its safe to say that at least they are not common in the rec diving industry, at least not in my area.

Now.. I was looking at a Faber 10.5l and a Faber 12.2l tank. According to Mr LDS Man, both are rated at 232bar (3365psi) with a DIN valve attached.

According to my calculations, that give me 86cf and 100cf respectively. If I recalculate using a working pressure of 241bar (3500psi) then my capacities are (close enough to) 90cf and 104cf respectively.

The confusing bit is, that assuming I have all my facts straight, of all the tank stats/comparison pages I have found on the web, I can't find any Faber tanks which match these specs. :confused:

Last question, wrt DIN/yoke:
Mr LDS Man tells me there are two types of DIN - those that can take the yoke adapter and those that can't. Ones that can take the yoke are only rated to about 210bar (3000psi), whereas the others are rated to 300bar (4300psi). Although I will most proably change my 1st stage to a DIN anyway, and keep my yoke attachment for travelling...

I would greatly appreciate any answers or pointers. All the threads I've found from search seem to assume a greater knowledge of tanks than I seem to have :(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom