Tank purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For DIY guys, there are some true bargains out there. I have less than 10 hours of free time a week in most cases, and I don't have my shop anymore where I could work and do things. So bought solutions are where I am right now.

A set of 72s would be really nice for diving in the springs though.

I wasn't being entirely facetious when I mentioned color. 72s can be galvanized, painted or plastic coated on the outside, or both galvanized and coated. Inside, they may be bare steel or have a plastic or epoxy lining. Galvanized 72s are terrific tanks. Lined ones are not, since the lining tends to conceal and concentrate corrosion, though the lining can be removed if its an otherwise good tank by tumbling or other methods.

Color is one of the best clues to what's underneath. Galvanized tanks will be a dull gray. Yellow are probably the worst, because they are very often USD tanks which were not galvanized underneath and are lined inside. Black, white, blue fall somewhere in the middle since they may or may not be galvanized underneath the color coating, as do some non-USD yellow tanks.

So hard to say whether you got just an OK deal or a steal. If you haven't filled it yet, I'd recommend popping the valve and taking a peek inside. I'd do this with any used tank I didn't buy from a reputable shop. Inspection stickers just don't mean much on eBay tanks.

I just got this email from Tech Diving Limited:

BRAND NEW IN BOX 2004 Manufacture

LP-95 $175.00 each 55 left
LP-85 $175.00 each 85 left
HP-120 $211.00 each 14 left
HP-100 $210.00 each 45 left
HP-80 $190.00 each 12 left
LP Tanks Include DIN/K Pro Nitrox Valve
HP Tanks Include DIN Nitrox Valve
All tanks include self draining boot

Bill B.

I have heard a lot of war stories about buying tanks on the internet ( Ebay).
What it boils down to is: you get what you pay for.

JRScuba:
I have heard a lot of war stories about buying tanks on the internet ( Ebay).
What it boils down to is: you get what you pay for.

You will only get war stories from those who purchase from facilities without inventory. In the past 2 months we moved more than 500 cylinders mostly via our internet portal. With the exception of two tanks that got shipped in the wrong size and one that was damaged by UPS all go right through without a hitch.

With more than 38 different sizes and types of cylinders available sometimes it can get a little confusing. We keep a large selection on our website. Then if you can't figure it out from there just give us a call we will be happy to help you with selection of cylinders and valves to match any particular need.

Regards,

The tank appears to have the early 1/2' pipe thread valve. They usually can be picked up pretty cheap as the valves are no longer avaiable for them but there is no reason not to use them. In fact it has the advantage of not having the tank to valve O ring that can fail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom