Tank purchase

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI Knight

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Was playing around on Ebay today not planning to bid on anythin just looking and happened on a steel 72 2250 with last visual August 05 and Hydro October 04. Seeing a low bid of $23.99 I said "what the hey I'll see what it goes up to when I submit the next bid". Well had to make a couple of submissions to see what the "top" bid was for and at $26.49 I found out. I though hmm well there's no way in gods blue ocean that I'd ever get a steel tank with current inspections for $26.49 so I went about looking around at other interesting items.

Before I logged off I was curious to see what the final bid was as I knew there was no way a steel 72 would go for $27.00 and to my surprise I won the darn thing for $26.49 shipping will be $32.72 so I will have a tank for $59.21. Called my LDS and spoke to the owner who was floored I was just in there this past weekend and we were talking about tanks. He said he'd be glad to fill it as soon as I get it in.

So is this a deal or what? :10:

I think it's multi colored looks like someone painted over the orginal yellow with a blue since the blue is scraped off in areas. Still with current inspections seems unusual from most ebay scuba items I've looked at. They're hardly ever current on service.

did it come with a mesh tank protector, if not what a steal, no pun inteded. I have picked some steel 72's for ten bucks at a garage sale.

It's a good deal unless it has that stupid epoxy liner it in.

Steel_72.jpg
[/IMG]

Here's the tank.

I thought about bidding on it.. but then I decided by the time I got it cleaned up, I could have just BOUGHT a tank.. and I want 95s or 104/108s anyway.

Good luck with it.

I mainly dive at a local quarry last dive all day about 7 or 8 dive had 1800 left so a S79should do me fine here. You said "by the time I got it cleaned up, I could have just BOUGHT a tank" Sanding priming and painting isn't costly for me I like doing the work and have the equipment I would need. It looks like its been painted once anyway so once it comes in and I talk to the LDS again to see if they'll fill it if I repaint it a nice underwater visable color.

You can sometimes score a real deal on older 72's from ebay. I bid $5 on one that supposedly had an epoxy lining(it was actually some sort of paint. Scary what some guys would breathe from). With $18 shipping, I came out with a tank and valve for $23. Then, using parts I had laying around, I built a tumbler, and tumbled it for a few hours with some rocks and spent brass shells, then washed the interior out. Had it hyro'd and vip'd for $25. Less than $50 for a working cylinder. Tech said that the inside looked wonderful. Plus, when I was dropping it off for hydro, the tech mentioned that he had a 72. I picked it up, with a hydro and vip included, for another $50. They both work like champs, although the boot on the dive shop one is loose, and I normally ditch it when I get the tank on. But don't count on getting lucky everytime. I almost bid on another 72 not too long ago, and noticed an red spot on the neck. It turned out it was a deep rusty gouge. So, don't bid so much that you will be screaming when it fails a hydro/vip.
I recently picked up an old USD manifold off of ebay, and will probably be hunting down another set of 72's to make a set of doubles. Being short, they fit better than 80's.

I've had 3 aluminum tanks crump on me this fall; one was a luxfer of the wrong alloy, the other two failed visual. One of those was my newest tank. My steel 72, which my brother bought new @1970, is still working fine. Take care of it and it will last a lifetime.

Back
Top Bottom