Tank Prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Empty V

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm looking at getting a bigger tank, right now I'm stuck with a pair of Steel 72's. So I'm exploring HP and LP. At one shop, a Worthington X-130 High Pressure - 3442 psi is going for $399 and a XSScuba LP 121 Steel Tank is going for $398 Why would they be the same price? It seems to me that the bigger HP tank should be more expensive. Is there a downfall to HP tanks besides not being able to get full PSI fills at some places?

Thanks!

Billy

I think that the Worthington tank and the XScuba tank are the same manufacturer (someone correct me if I'm wrong). XS Scuba is the US distributor for worthing right?

Empty V:
Well my question is why is the higher pressure and larger capacity tank the same price as the lower pressure and capacity tank.

Billy

You will one day, as will most every SoCal diver, own a 130.

If you want mad BT, a tank with nearly perfect geometry, very favorable buoyancy characteristics and a tank you won't need to replace for 20+ years - you will one day take the plunge and invest in a Steel 130 (the annionted PST or upstart Worthington - both are fine tanks.) Even a price variance of $100 now is actually pennies per dive over the life of these fine tanks.

Now is not the time to shop for huge savings, as the demand for these top of the line tanks is so great there is no discounting. This is an investment. This isn't a suit you'll out grow, or a mask that will fade and grow out of style one day. This is the mighty 130 - the apex tank of the planet. Your search has ended - If you're a SoCal, you will one day own this tank. Or, you can dive the toys with the rest of the unenlightened.

Resistance is futile, as is trying to find an arguement why any serious SoCal diver would still dive anything else. Especially if you're going to move into a Drysuit one day.

If you wanna borrow a 130 and see why its God's perfect cylinder creation, I'll have 2 on Catalina. Or you can join us any Thursday in Vets or Malibu and I'll bring an extra one.

Same for a BP/W - you can always try one of my extras. But that's a story for another thread...

Get the 130 and put the tank discussion to bed so you can decide on which canister light to buy. :wink:

---
Ken

Empty V:
I'm looking at getting a bigger tank, right now I'm stuck with a pair of Steel 72's. <snip>

Thanks!

Billy
If only we all could be "stuck" with a pair of 72's...the perfect casual doubles...or as a single, great for a quick dive while your buddy struggles with the size and weight of an AL 80....

<sighs>

All the best, James

ROTFL, Ken you crack me up. Now, do I go for an HP or a LP tank? What are the pros and cons?

Are you diving tomorrow night in Malibu? If so, I'm game. Who do you dive with?

I am thinking of moving into a BP/W setup in the coming months, next step after that would be the dry suit and then the light. I'm going to Oahu on the 25th and was debating on getting a UK Light Cannon for it. Is it that much brighter than my UK C8?

Thanks Ken!!!

-Billy

Mo2vation:
You will one day, as will most every SoCal diver, own a 130.
---
Ken

Somehow I just ended up doubling 2 of them.
I haven't tried lifting them yet though.

I tend to use a 119 for deeper shore or boat singles dives, and an 80 for shallow (lobster :) dives

Hi Billy:
The suggested retail prices for the two tanks in question are:
X8-130 - 3442 psi - $441.95
LP121 - 2400+ psi - $356.95
Though our dealers are free to sell these cylinders for what ever price they want. Also these cylinders are not manufactured from the same steel alloy. All X-Series 3442 psi cylinders are manufactured from a more expensive high tensile steel alloy.

Empty V:
I'm looking at getting a bigger tank, right now I'm stuck with a pair of Steel 72's. So I'm exploring HP and LP. At one shop, a Worthington X-130 High Pressure - 3442 psi is going for $399 and a XSScuba LP 121 Steel Tank is going for $398 Why would they be the same price? It seems to me that the bigger HP tank should be more expensive. Is there a downfall to HP tanks besides not being able to get full PSI fills at some places?

Thanks!

Billy

Mo2vation:
Get the 130 and put the tank discussion to bed so you can decide on which canister light to buy. :wink:

---
Ken

Hey Ken,

How does a 130 trim out as compared to a 119? I dive 119 or LP 95s right now, they work great for me in terms of trim. I've also dove a HP 120, which was unbearable because it was too long. I'm 6'1", and if a 130 (which is only 1.5 inches longer than a 119) still trims out nice, that may be my next tank. Your arguments are quiet persuasive . . . especially if it, uh, gets overfilled a bit.:wink: (not that I'd ever dream of doing that).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom