Tank Poll

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by Shadow
Well... I am the owner/operator of one very unusual tank (which I purchased myself): a steel 76 cu.ft. 3000 psi tank - I am not mistaken - it's a weird tank....
Well now Shadow.... I'll bet the manly man himself has a few of those laying around....

How bouts it Fred... how many 76rs do you have?

I just purchased my first tank today. A used 85 cu. ft. Faber Steel.

Originally posted by FredT

I have a couple 3K steels in the 96 range though, and they are my favorite tanks buoyancy wise. Close to 8 pounds negative _empty_!:bigger:

I have a similar tank. The dive shop that sold it to me said it was a steel 72 that held more than 72...

The shop I took it to for a fill says it's 94 cu.ft. galvanized steel tank. It weighs 45 pounds full. I took 7 lbs off, and at end dive, I still could not float at eye level - so the tank must be around 8 pounds negative at 250 psi. It is stamped with a P, which is used by PST. Based on the weight and buoyancy characteristics, I think the 94 size is correct. I'm surprised the dive shop that sold me the tank didn't know what it was. How common is this? Any opinions on whether this mystery tank is a 72 or a 94?

Are you sure it's Pressed Steel? Sounds like a Heiser cylinder...

Do you see the number "8304" on it anywhere?

Roak

According to the PST rep at DEMA last year they were made under contract late 70s to early 80s for Divequip and a couple other smallish gear distributors, including Sherwood.

Internal volume is the same as a standard 72, but the fill is 3000 with a + , or ~96 cubic feet @ 3300, or 116 cubic feet at a point halfway between working and hydrotest pressure. (0.02909cubic feet per psi, same as a 72.)

Note: When cleaning tanks it's possible to empty a standard 72 full of water directly into one of these and JUST fill it, so the internal volume is as close to the same as I've been able to measure it. Wall thickness is about .06 thicker though.

The PST rep did indicate they might bring back a similar tank in the near future. I hope so. Another dozen of those in my stable would be quite nice! I'm afraid I might even buy them new (GASP!!!) if they were ever offered again. Medum pressure suitable for "10%overfill" with good buoyancy, REAL metal and a double dipped Galv coating. What diver could ever ask for more in a tank?

FT

Shadow, if that bottle ever becomes an orphan I have a home for it!

Roakey - No it doesn't have those numbers on it. I think the P makes it a PST tank - they use(d) that symbol.

FredT - Thanks for the info; I think you're right. The manager at the second LDS said it was a Divequip, too. One of his was stolen, and he's been looking for a tank like this for 3 years - he's already offered me double what I paid for it. Judging by the interest in this old tank, PST should bring them back!

During the 70's, every dive shop on the east coast seemed to be selling the Divequip 3000+ tanks. I bought 3 from Berry Distributors with the generic PST stamp. Used them for 15 years. They are rated 94.6 cu ft @ 3000+. They are -6 pounds buoyancy w/o the valve. They were the same length as a "72" but one tenth inch larger in diameter. Their small diameter and negative buoyancy solved many trim and drag issues. The closest replacement I can find is the Faber 100 which is of a similar size and pressure rating to the PST 100, but heavier, and are -7 lbs buoyant. Interestingly, the working pressure is 3498 psi, the neck is 3/4 inch and accepts standard valves or DIN type.

4 AL 80
2 HP Steel 120
1 set AL 100 Doubles
2 AL 40
1 LP steel 72

The 40's, 120's, and doubles are O2 cleaned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom