Tank? Might buy one, but I'd like a couple opinions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really don't want to sound like I am being an a**h*** but don't buy and scuba equipment yet. Why?

1. You have an average of less than two dives per year for the last 7 years. You can rent what you need at that rate and be more cost effective.
  2. You already have tanks available to you to use.
  3. You don't have a LDS that you trust and you NEED one if you are going to be doing any local diving.
  4. Your other hobby is more important to you than diving at this point in your life.
While I love diving and make my living selling diving stuff to shops and divers, I really hate seeing dive stuff sit in a closet and get sold for junk at yard sales.

Just my $.02

I agree whole heartedly with these sentiments.

You already have most of your hard gear, apart from a tank.
Your dad owns numerous tanks, so just use one of them.

Also, tanks are not items which you want to transport. Just use rentals when you go diving anywhere outside of driving distance.

When I first started diving, about 8 years ago, I managed to get myself a really cheap AL80 from a diving school which was closing down, and while it's great to have my own tank, it can be a mission at times, and for a number of reasons, so these days, unless I'm diving locally in one of the quarries or sink holes, I'd much rather rent a tank which only costs a couple bucks more than an air/EANx fill at most places.

I'd say put the money towards something else, be it towards your trip, maybe a nitrox course

I found something else to get.

We will be taking our tanks to florida with us and renting more as there will be 3 of us diving.

Since most recommend waiting, I had to go with my true passion.

German Sports Guns GSG-5 .22 LR...Might SBR or integrally suppress it later.

hmmmm $200.00 to SBR a $400.00 plinker .22 on a college budget id pass on that
300-400 for a case of .380 on a MG with a cyclic rate thats insane
well thats 300-400 for 1 day at the range

we share some of the same hobbies the thing here and this is only opinion you logged 12 dive in a real long time like stated before it may be better to rent
or skip 1 day at the range and buy a couple Al80's
i skipped one range day and bought a liquid vison computer
but i love diving and only enjoy the hell outta shooting my machine guns

have fun on your trip and dive safe

always wear gloves when shooting MG's ive seen some nasty stuff on the line

I passed on the tanks.

Im at home in TN for the night as we are heading back to IN from the keys.

Got advanced certification in key largo. hung out in key west.

Called about the ammo, but the quantity is low so they will only sell you 250 rounds now...one range trip maybe 2 for me. Didnt bother.

Ill be taking the MG to the range for a little bonus at the end of a normal session. Usually shoot my ak's, mosins, or 22.

SBR for the 22 wouldnt be that bad, but i think if I drop another $200, I'll get a form 1 going so I can build my 50 suppresser design and test it.

Dont have alot of money, but most of it goes towards my firearms collection/shooting. I figure I better get what I can while I can. I have a C&R, but I might look into a FFL here soon. First I need to look into starting my own business...on paper more than sales for now. Maybe by the time I get out of grad school I will have my business started, FFL, and manufacturing...and have a few prototypes maybe even a couple models ready for production.

For now the GSG-5 will just be a plinker, but I may start some design work once school starts back and classes start to get boring again.

Back
Top Bottom