Tank? Might buy one, but I'd like a couple opinions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I have 12 dives logged since I got certified about 6-7 years since I got my certification. Basically, I don't dive much. BUT I'd like to.

I'm going to FL in mid July, and along with my dad and his friend, will get my Advanced certification. Curently, I have a Scubapro Accent BC, Scubapro MK 2 first, Scubapro R380 reg, Cressi Comp and gauge setup, Neosport 1mm full wetsuit, UK SL4 light, small dive knife, mask and snorkel, and if it is returned a pair of splitfins(? make), boots, and maybe gloves.

My dad has a couple tanks (older) that should be back from hydro and vis soon...i think they are steel 80 or 100, but i'm not sure.

On to the tank portion.

I would like to have my own tank, and it would be nice to get a HP119 or something bigger, but thats alot of $$$. I've been looking online and at the LDS and for my price range, an AL80 looks like the only way I would be buying one.

My dad said something about wanting to be able to get a couple new tanks, but saving for FL is going to take some work (and overtime). Also, his birthday is in July during the trip. (He does dive more than me as he has been to Hawaii, Egypt and Mexico)

SO I was thinking about maybe buying one of the less expensive Al tanks for myself, and if I can wrangle some extra cash maybe getting one for my dad too.

I may even take my equipment home with me after the summer and try to find someone in TN to dive with to keep in the habit better. Might be alot of fresh water, but major dives seem to be in the ocean on vacation.

And for ?s:
1)Would it be reasonable to go ahead and get 1 or 2 Al tanks and maybe get something else later (once I graduate college and can afford more)?
2)Does anybody dive the Al tanks?
3)General tank buying opinion?

While I may be able to buy a steel like I'm interested in, but for the forseeable future, its pretty much going to be either 1 AL80 for me, 2 for me (or 1 me and 1 dad...depending on how he wants to split up the current selection), or just bumming from my dad and his friend. (The extra cash needs to go for some ammo to feed my other habits...and career path).

It seems to me it would be best to have my own stuff that way I can dive when and where I want easier...and I prefer to own rather than rent.

Thanks for any help. (Ya, I type alot.)

Hi and Welcome to ScubaBoard! :admingreet:

I think many more people probably dive aluminum than do steel because of the price difference. I live in Southern California where we wear lots of neoprene or drysuits so, those that dive often usually dive steel because we can remove some weight from our BC/belts.

If your Dad has a couple of cylinders that are coming back from Hydo why would you buy him another one (especially if it is going to strap you)? I know you want to get it for him for his birthday, but as a parent myself with a 21 y/o, I would rather have him spend the time with me than to spend extra money on me. Diving with your Dad may be all he really wants!

When you say you are heading to Florida in mid-July, did you know that ScubaBoard is having a big dive and party called Invade the Keys? Perhaps you and your Dad can join us? Here's the link.

Before you buy a big cylinder (like the 119), you might want to find out for sure what your Dad is diving. If he is diving an 80 then with the 119, you are going to have a lot of air left over. Is it because you go through air faster than your Dad? If so, better breathing habits will come in time and when you are comfortable.

Finally, here's our forum for our Deep Dixie Divers. If you are looking for divers in your area.

(I type a lot too. But never apologize~it's a good thing!!)

My opinion only I do own 2 Al 80 I bought some time ago and 2 Steel 80's I prefer the steel less weight. When I use the aluminums I add a 2 1/2 lb. dump weight to the tank. Something to think about you buy which ever you still pay for the fills. Until you start diving more how about just renting the tanks the LDS takes care of hydro, visual and air fills incorporated into the price. Costs that you will shoulder if you own your own tanks. For me I do a lot of dives have my own compressor and tech cert. to visual so it becomes cost effective.

The up side to owning your own if money isn't the issue you grab your tanks without the trip to the LDS to rent one and you can go whenever you want. Still have to get it filled at the end.

Hope this gives you something to think about, and helps

TG

found the receipt, and they are 80s. the HP119 just looked like the one I would want if I dive with someone else later on.

Why get him another? He was thinking of getting 2 more so we would have 2 each and wouldnt have to worry about fills as much on trips...usually 2 tanks per trip for a person.

I was thinking that if I got 2 Al tanks, he could have a nice new tank and an old steel and the same for me, but maybe he would just hang onto the 2 steels and I would "borrow" the extra Al for the times I dive too. I was just thinking of something he would probably like for his birthday...I dont have any firearms to give him this year.

As for the cash, its not too big a deal. I just cant see spending so much for the steel tank yet.
Also, Im trying to see about having an extra $400-800 for a case or two of 380 ammo for my machinegun (SWD M11A1) since Samco is in Miami.

We saw the Invade the Keys thing, but the timing is a little off. We will be getting certified just before then going on down to key west when the event is happening....then back up the coast to get back here to IN for another week before I head back to TN...need to do some paperwork for graduation and grad school apps. Might be able to catch some of it though if everything lines up right.

Mostly posted to se what everyone thought about getting Al tanks as a first step towards a complete set of gear...and to work with my current gear and dive locations...FL basically.

PS: Spending time with him is definately good...we have summers, christmas, and knob creek twice a year. I'm 22 and grad school approached, so I gotta do what I can with the time I have.

Last edited:
Mostly posted to se what everyone thought about getting Al tanks as a first step towards a complete set of gear...and to work with my current gear and dive locations...FL basically.

Starting with 2 aluminum cylinders is just fine.

Check out this thread of mine (there's some good deals on steels) on steel tanks for sale. The steel 80s will need a hydro in 2010, but this is still a good price!

I'd recommend buying tanks in pairs rather than one at a time, just my preference for a couple of reasons.

1. You can dive with a buddy and you both have the same tanks
2. You can do two dives in one day with the same size tanks
3. If you ever go tech, you don't have a left over one (like I do).

That being said, you really can't go wrong either way. I prefer steel myself to reduce the amount of lead I carry. You can keep an eye out on this board and others (i.e TDS) for WTS thread to buy used tanks. You can find some great deals if you pay attention. I have bought so many tanks over the past few years just because of "deals I could not pass up". Now the only thing that keeps me from buying more is the lack of space :)

Happy trails!
~Jeff

Nice in Florida with warm water the AL80s make great tanks. I have a steel 72, LP95, and HP100 which I love.

well, i looked around some more and the LDS isnt worth the money....plus they kinda ripped my dad on his equipment being serviced and tank inspections.

though I'd order one of the steel PST tanks, but found a buy on an optic I have been wanting.

I guess my $200 is going for my other hobby this time, but maybe later I will get a tank.

I really don't want to sound like I am being an a**h*** but don't buy and scuba equipment yet. Why?

1. You have an average of less than two dives per year for the last 7 years. You can rent what you need at that rate and be more cost effective.
  2. You already have tanks available to you to use.
  3. You don't have a LDS that you trust and you NEED one if you are going to be doing any local diving.
  4. Your other hobby is more important to you than diving at this point in your life.
While I love diving and make my living selling diving stuff to shops and divers, I really hate seeing dive stuff sit in a closet and get sold for junk at yard sales.

Just my $.02

Back
Top Bottom