Tank ID

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow- thanks so much for the info. First site I've seen that has the old tank stampings listed. Sorry I did not include the link to Ebay- never crossed my mind to do so. If I have used Alum 80's so far (on smaller dives - and I don't care for aluminums due to bouyancy) does it make any sense to get a steel 72 single or would I be shooting myself in the foot? Thoughts?

Wow- thanks so much for the info. First site I've seen that has the old tank stampings listed. Sorry I did not include the link to Ebay- never crossed my mind to do so. If I have used Alum 80's so far (on smaller dives - and I don't care for aluminums due to bouyancy) does it make any sense to get a steel 72 single or would I be shooting myself in the foot? Thoughts?

nothing wrong with Steel 72's... just just have a smaller capacity than most other tanks used today.

if you've got a lower air consumption for example, then it might be the perfect tank for you.

If you're an air-hog, you're likely to want another tank. or for deeper dives.

I have found that a lot of the US Divers tanks do not have the original manufacturers name. But you can figure it out by the original hydro stamp. Lets look at the photos above, there is a large C with a L inside of it between the month and year of the original hydro. This is the symbol for Cochran Labs.

Per the CTC web site CTC Seminars Home Page
down load the page on tank symbols : http://www.ctcseminars.com/Files/Technical/DOT MFG IIA.pdf

Cochran did hydros for Pressed Steel, Marison Co, and Creamery Package. Of these I only know of Pressed Steel making the SCUBA 72 tank.

So, you most likely have a Pressed Steel tank, if so the REE number is 58.4
http://ctcseminars.com/Files/PST REE values.pdf

Thanks for everybody's help with this! My tanks have the Chochran Labs symbol for their original hydro, so it looks like they were made by PST.

If I have used Alum 80's so far (on smaller dives - and I don't care for aluminums due to bouyancy) does it make any sense to get a steel 72 single or would I be shooting myself in the foot? Thoughts?

LP72s are supposedly neutral when empty, although my Kidde is a lb or two positive. So they're not nearly as negative as some of the current steel tanks, but still 3-4 lbs less positive than an AL80. They're also lighter to carry around and smaller on your back; really nice to dive with IMO. If you're looking for more air in a similar package, get a LP85; they're also neutral when empty, a little heavier and a little longer, but substantially more air due to the higher service pressure.

Back
Top Bottom