Tank ID: Faber doubles with 2730 working pressure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubastingray

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys, I just picked up a set of doubles on the cheap, but I'm not sure the seller really knew the size. They were sold to me as LP85s, but they seem to be something else.

Here's what the tanks say:

Top line: FABER MADE IN ITALY M8303 03/0429 124 03 03+ (march 03 hydro date) SEA PEARLS
Bottom: TC-3AAM-209 DOT 2730 (fill pressure) REE 59 (expansion testing for + rating I know).

the other tank says the same but is labelled 121 instead of 124.

I'm not sure on weight and unfortunately don't have a scale. I do know they are much much lighter than the PST LP 120s they're supplementing/replacing.

circumference is right around 23", and i stupidly forgot to measure their height when I was taking pictures. They are stubbier than AL80s.

So what size are these? This: Faber Industrie
seems to suggest they could be roughly 80 cubes or 95 cubes. I don't have a way to weigh them, which is the only distinguishing factor on that chart.

---------- Post added May 1st, 2014 at 02:01 PM ----------

Actually, let me answer my own question in case anyone else stumbles upon this a year from now.

They appear to be 3000psi 80s.
I found this here:
Faber Industrie
and based on 209 bar and 677 cubic inch water capacity that gives me roughly 80 cubes. I measured it and it appears to be 22.5" (give or take), and it has a convex, not concave volume. That makes it the third down the list. These tanks weigh half of what those stupid pst tanks do. -3lbs buoyancy empty, -9 full. not bad at all. I might try to trade those damn LP120s for something like lp85s or something with a lower working pressure so I can get a good overfill if I need it in cave country.

Last edited:
I have one of the same. Nice little tank, good balance in the water (at least as a single). Too bad the place where I got in hydro'd didn't know how to do the REE and didn't give me the + rating…but ended up not charging me because they had promised that they could do the +… All worked out in the end.

I have 2 of those. I actually filled one with water to measure capacity and it came out to 85cu.ft. @ 2800psi. Mid pressure tanks from 2004-2006. I have them doubled and fill to 3000psi.

I have 2 of those. I actually filled one with water to measure capacity and it came out to 85cu.ft. @ 2800psi. Mid pressure tanks from 2004-2006. I have them doubled and fill to 3000psi.
How tall are your tanks? Are they the taller 2730 psi tanks?

I have one of the same. Nice little tank, good balance in the water (at least as a single). Too bad the place where I got in hydro'd didn't know how to do the REE and didn't give me the + rating…but ended up not charging me because they had promised that they could do the +… All worked out in the end.
Yeah the REE is stamped on there, so I better get the + rating when they go in for hydro.

22.5 from top of the neck to the bottom of the crown, 23.5 circumference. Don't lose those tanks! they can be max filled at 3000, hold more air than an aluminum of the same weight and sheds weight from the belt. If I could get my hands on a couple of more....

Oops I just saw this.
Yeah I think mine are the smaller variant, although who knows. Around 80CF seems about right given my SAC and how long I'm getting out of the tanks.

I have them doubled up and think they make great tanks for basic boat tech diving, where huge tanks make re-entry onto the boat impossible.

I owned Sea Pearls at the time and distributed these tanks. Part of our requirements from Faber was to include the REE number on all cylinders produced for us. Any competent hydro facility should be able to test for the + rafting.

Dive safe,
Lee

I owned Sea Pearls at the time and distributed these tanks. Part of our requirements from Faber was to include the REE number on all cylinders produced for us. Any competent hydro facility should be able to test for the + rafting.

Dive safe,
Lee
Oh that makes sense, thank you. So am I right in thinking these are 80cf? I've been trying to compare sac rate on each dive, and it'd be nice to have a confirmation. Either way the tanks are staying as my third set of doubles *sigh*.

Dive safe,
Lee
Lee,

Why weren't these more popular? I just picked one up and after research I want another. Perfect tank for my 12YO daughter to use.

Lee,

Why weren't these more popular? I just picked one up and after research I want another. Perfect tank for my 12YO daughter to use.
I don't want to speak for Lee but I would guess they were going up against the HP tanks that were becoming more popular at the time and more pressure is, well, more.

Also I believe these were painted and the HPs at the time were mostly hot dipped galvanized, though I am not sure if that was a big factor at the time for most buyers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom