Tank hydro question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

biscuit7:
I'm totally intrigued by this new Luxfer tank...

The biggest issue I see is actually getting it filled to rated pressure since most fill stations don't even bank enough pressure to properly top these off.

Do you have any experience with these tanks and what is your general impression?

Rachel

My fire dept has recently begun swapping out our old AL cylinders with these new composite tanks. I can let you know in a few years how sturdy they are. If anyone can damage or destroy a piece of equipment, it's a fireman. I do agree that a gouge in the wrap would probably render a tank unfit for use.

I have heard that some of the earliest ones would be damaged by immersion in water, but that propblem has been fixed. I do know that I like them. They weigh a few pounds less than our old tanks but hold twice air (and twice the pressure) so I could see a regular dive shop not being able to fill them.

FD

Some minor repars can be performed on composite cylinders. As long as the fibers are not damaged you can seal up gouges with epoxy... If I remember correctly you can also have a small number of fiber damage, but I have not performed hydro's in a couple of years and the last time I looked at the CGA was a couple of years ago. Also most if not all composite cylinders are manufactured under an exemption with the DOT so special inspection/repair procedures my be required in addition to requirement listed in the CGA pamphlets for requalification.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom