Tank holder in truck bed...ideas.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JKSteger

D/M Wannabee ! ! !
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I need to build a tank holder for my truck bed. I typically haul 2 lp98's and 2 AL80's.

If anyone has built anything let me know what you did if you don't mind. I would like to copy it for my truck.:D

J:

pvc pipe. cut to foot or so long,you'l need 5 [ 1 more than # tanks,] I use a 6tank setup easy to put extra out of the way. drill 2 holes thru each piece [ makes 4 holes in pipe lol] thread with rope , knot inside each piece, set to apropriate spacing for your tanks. wrap ends with innertube to stop sliding. voila tank rack.

I bought the foam cut to the tanks shape and they work great. One of my friends uses pool floaties cut down with rope going sideways between the three sections works great. My other friend built a wood tank rack that works great. What each individual needs is different. What material would you like it made out of?

Thanks, I'm thinking a wood rack for the tanks. Maybe that's overkill!

I have a magnificent tank rack if I may say.
It is a 4 place roll control rack system that is bolted to my Weather Guard tool box.
I bought the "flip ups". They fold down when not in use.
I think you could do something like this even if you do not have a truck box.
What kind of a truck do you have?
Mine is a Ford F-150.
It cost me about $100 to put it together and bolt it in.
The tanks are always vertical and out of the way.
I have 4 places and can bungee 3 more tanks in there.

Chug
Think he is so smart on this particular issue and few others.

Just doing some looking around on Google I found these ideas.

The first picture I actually found the plans on how to make this in the web.

The third picture is what we use on our dive boats and dive trailer and I have seen the same setup in the beds of trucks. It comes with a rail that attaches to your boat/truck/etc. and then you get the holders and slide them in. They can fold out of the way when not in use. Very well built and I have never had a tank come out on its own. How that this helps out.

Attachments

• figure%201aedited.jpg
    figure%201aedited.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 2,995
  • P4180007.jpg
    P4180007.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,593
  • 110-DEFAULT-m.jpg
    110-DEFAULT-m.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,801
Roll Control System

I use this mounted all the way in the front of the bed of my truck. Since I only use the truck for two things, which are diving and towing a 34' trailer. I use the bed for all my dive gear, and then the trailer carries the overflow.

I found a couple of 2x3s in the basement. Cut 2 pcs so they fit across the bed, one up against the cab and one about 21" back. Then cut some 24" pcs and laid them front to back, on top of the first two. Spaced them on 8.5" centers, and screwed them down.

This rack holds both standard and 'fat boy' tanks very nicely, though if you have fat tanks with boots, the tanks will be knocking boots. I've heard that's where pony tanks come from, but it hasn't happened to me yet. ;-) I only put one drywall screw (not very strong) at each joint, and it has lasted 10 years so far.

I've stacked three layers of tanks on this rack, and it works great. I use straps to hold tanks against the cab if I have more than one layer, but with only one layer I don't use straps any more. The tanks never move.

I might point out that the construction of my bed ('99 Ford Ranger with Duraliner) is such that once the rack is in, it can't move.

D

Oh, and it cost me nothing to build.

Awsome! I will trow something together like what you did DIWdiver. I might also look into the roll controll things too.

Thanks everyone.

J:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom