Tank holder in truck bed...ideas.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is what I made with some scrap packing corners from work.

Attachments

• tank rack.jpg
    tank rack.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 3,850
Yes, the corners are mounted to a piece of plastic decking (gray) which is screwed to the box.
Mounted an SS eye bolt on each side of the box for the strap.

Here is what I made. I do not like things installed in my little ISUZU truck other than my flush hardtop.

Well I have to haul a lot of gear around the island and carry it on a 18' Zodiac so I used some scrap wood and made this.

It works great for Al80's and Al100's.:D It is light and I can store the tanks in the racks in the garage stacked up using less room and no chance of them falling. The cutouts are 1" plywood. The base is 3/4" plywood and the pieces are glued and screwed together to make a strong bond. I use a cheap tie down strap that I use to secure the Zodiac to its trailer.

Truck rack001.jpg

The cutouts are the size for the 80's but with the scrap garden hose the 100's fit fine. The hose is better than felt or other material as it grips the tanks, does not hold moisture and does not scrape the tank. My only expense was the 2 eye screws that are attached on two of the cutouts from the tank rack and a tube of Shoe Goo to attach the hose for each cutout. Did not want screws hitting the tanks. I had all the other materials laying around the garage waiting to think up a project.

Truck rack002.jpg

I put hose on the bottom to keep the movement on the boat down so it would not damage the floor. I attached this with three screws per section. On the boat I can stack 3 more tanks on top if needed but normally I just put another rack in the boat. You can rig up your BC or wing and lay them back in the rack for the trip out to the site. Your 2nd tank is right beside. This cuts down on the use of space that is limited. I normally dive alone or with 3 dive buddy's. Fits just right for us. I do not like clutter or things bouncing around on the boat as it is a balloon and do not want to poke holes in it.

Truck rack003.jpg

Not movement even if you do not put on the strap.
Just my little contribution to my diving experience.....

I have tried a variation of almost every thing listed and I am a big fan of the original/first suggestion(ppVC or foam).. it allows you to install and remove at will, so that you are not making permanent changes to your vehicle.. I often haul up to 20 tanks at a time and have various size racks..

Cheers,
Roger

Just doing some looking around on Google I found these ideas.

The first picture I actually found the plans on how to make this in the web.

The third picture is what we use on our dive boats and dive trailer and I have seen the same setup in the beds of trucks. It comes with a rail that attaches to your boat/truck/etc. and then you get the holders and slide them in. They can fold out of the way when not in use. Very well built and I have never had a tank come out on its own. How that this helps out.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/do-yourself-diy/234816-pvc-tank-rack-plans.html

I just ordered a roll control (4 tank) system with 4 holders and end caps. This is likely the same type of system being mentioned above. I'll post pics once I install into my truck bed.

Last edited:
Soooo????? How did it go? Inquiring minds reeeeeally want to know. :D Seriously though, I am looking to the future and I like this setup for my travel tailer so I am just wondering if it worked as good as they said.

Thanks,
LowDrag

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom