tank fills near Grayling, Michigan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

compton384

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I want to dive in Lake Margarethe in Grayling, Michigan, but there does not appear to be anywhere closer than an hour away to get tanks filled..

I was wondering if anyone from the area knows of somewhere closer than Cadillac, among others that are easily found on google but an hour or more away?

Alternatively, is there anyone who has a compressor in the area that would be willing to fill tanks for me? I'd be willing to pay the going rate..

Lake Margrethe is less than an hour from Traverse City. There is a shop there called Scuba North that has air, nitrox and tri-mix according to their website. The phone number is 231-947-2520. I have not been there but a friend was there last weekend so they are still open as of then.
There is a shop in Midland I am familiar with (Seaquatics) but they are closer to 2 hours from where you plan to dive.
While you are in the Grayling area you might consider diving Bear Lake (< 10 miles) or Higgins Lake (about 20 miles.) I can recommend both having dived them many times, can't tell you much about Lake Margrethe other than that it is fairly shallow: less than 30 feet other than two small holes that are a long way from shore and reach about 50.

Thanks.. I had actually found this shop on google, but it is an hour away. It's on our list if we don't come up with anything, but a 2 hour trip to get air seems a little far, so I was hoping for a shop or someone with a compressor closer.

I know what Lake Margarethe is like. I will probably get to the other ones in the area eventually, but our interest in this lake is that we have a cottage there and have been there every year of our lives- but never more than snorkeling to see what's underneath. We won't be shore diving, so getting to the deeper spots and exploring the whole lake isn't a problem.

What do you do when you're in Grayling? Camp Grayling? I was actually wondering if there was someone there I could contact about tank fills since they have military divers on occasion..

Bring more tanks with ya.....solution solved...

We already have to purchase the 4 tanks we are planning on bringing.. If only bringing more tanks were that easy... If it were a shorter trip, I would rent them, but then again, if it were a shorter trip, I wouldn't be in the predicament of needing air fills...

Just going out on a limb here but have you tried to call the local fire station?? They should be able to fill your scuba tanks with their compressor. Whether they will or not I couldn't tell you but its always worth a phone call. Tell them you are traveling and cant find anywhere near there to get a fill and offer to pay or buy them some lunch.

Too bad airs fills don't keep a dive shop in business.

Traverse City (Scuba North 231-947-2520), Caddilac (Divers Central 231-876-3483), and Boyne City (Scuba NW 231-536-0235) are your best choices. If you want to dive Thunder Bay I run a shop in Alpena. Let me know if you are coming as I will be working at what does keep me in business (charters) and may not be in the shop as often this summer. If I know you're comming I will come in early and/or stay late to help you out.

Joe Sobczak
Thunder Bay Scuba
989-356-6228

I'll probably pick Boyne City because Red Mesa Grill there is really awesome! Since all three are around about an hour away, for 2 hours round trip. Not ideal, but I guess they are my only option. We are going to look into the fire department and the army base on the off chance they are willing, but I'm not holding out too much hope.

Alpena is about 2 hours away, so I don't think we'll make it there soon. We are really interested in diving the lakes in the area first, and then we will look into exploring a little more. Thanks for the offer and the information!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom