Tank diameters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CenTexDivin

Contributor
Reaction score
Directly above the center of the Earth in the Texa
# of dives
50 - 99
I've been researching tank sizes and while I haven't found anything definative, it seems that most tanks that any normal recreational diver would run into would be between an 63cu to a 120 cu, with an 80 cu alum being the most common. Is that a correct assumption?

In addition, I've been looking at the diameters, and I've found that the range for primary air source cylinders (i.e. not including pony or stage bottles) is around 7.25" to 8" (8.03" at the most for a particular model). Is that correct?

I've searched through quite a few charts and even more threads to come to these conclusions, and would definately appreciate any clarification regarding these specifications.

Yep, you're spot on . . .

the K

......yes, your conclusions are pretty close to the mark, at least for the Western Hemisphere, that is. As a recreational diver, the VAST majority of tanks will be yoke-valve equipped AL 63's / AL 80's with 7.25" diameters..... in some circumstances you'd have access to Al 100's with 8.00" diameters. With respect to steel tanks, and I'll use Cozumel as my example, some operators use LP 95 Fabers ( 8.00 " diameters ) and HP 100's / HP 120's ( 7.25 " diameters ) . I believe some Coz operators used to use, or maybe they still do, Faber LP 120's ( 8.00 " diameters ) which are massive tanks.

Karl

Besides the very common 7.25" (AL80, AL63 and others), and 8" (AL100, some LP steels) the other size you may run into is the 6.9" AL50, and AL72 tanks.

My older BCD has a pretty well worn kink in the camband at the 7.25" spot. Adjusting it out to 8" works nicely, but I have to be careful when using the 6.9" tanks because the band has a tendency to jump back to the kink at 7.25" while I'm tightening it up, and then the tank will slip out during the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom