tank banger or rattler??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

donnad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
i would like a signaling device to use just when you want to get your buddie's attention to look at something or some other minor thing, not something that would always be very loud ya know? and easily accessible. would you recommend a tank banger. i was thinking maybe the rattling devices are too loud for this?

Get yourself a Large Double-Eye Snap Bolt. On one end attach your whistle, attach other end to one of your D-rings. Detach when needed to bang on tank. Learned this from the DM's in Coz.

Those rattling devices can be annoying after awhile.

Dave (aka "Squirt")

I prefer and own the Trident Shaker...much rather shake than bang on my tank.

You can make one inexpensively. I took a 4" piece of 1/2" (ID) PVC, 3 metal BB's and 2 end PVC end caps. Drilled holes in the sides of the PVC just a tad smaller than the BB's. Glued on one cap, dumped in the BB's and then glued on the other cap. Attached a small loop of braided nylon on one end for attaching to a snaphook, which inturn attaches to a D-ring on the BCD.

Just loud enough to get my partners attention without waking the dead.

'Slogger

Pick up a rock about the size of a golf ball. And guess what, if you drop it, you pick up another.

I just use a stainless carabienter... snap the hook when you need someone and also use it to hold some of the **** that I carry with me.

donnad:
i would like a signaling device ..., not something that would always be very loud ya know? and easily accessible.
How about your mouth. Try just shouting into your reg. I find it good for 10 or 15' distances, very easily accessible, and I never forget to bring my mouth along. :)

The only problem I've had is a couple cases where my buddy clearly heard me, but just didn't realize it was me calling him. Since my most common call is "whoooo whooooo whooooo", I just brief my buddies that there aren't any underwater owls, so if they hear one that they should look over in my direction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom