tank advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is the difference in risk in having 2 power inflators on your BCD and 1 inflator on your BCD and 1 inflator on your dry suit?

Chris (since we are already off the beaten track) if a power inflator starts filling your double bladder wing you wouldn't know which inflator it was. You would however be able to feel your suit inflating vs your wing in the second instance.

LUBOLD8431:
Well, I have issues with OMS. That being said, I do still own some OMS stuff, but I am gradually replacing it with products from another manufacturer. I dont think the 65# BC is a bad product, although I wouldnt choose it for me.
I normally dive with the OMS/Faber 112's doubles, and last season I was using OMS steel 46's X 2 for deco bottles (this season I have switched to AL deco bottles for alot of reasons). My DR classic wing had trouble on the surface with this setup, but after the gas was used, it was no problem. And, remember the deco bottles can be ditched if I have a problem with the BC on the descent (lots of weight from gas at the beg of dive). I also have a liftbag that I COULD use for addt'l lift if needed. I just dont like the idea of having a double bladder bc. The right way to use it is to have the second power inflator hooked up all the time. When you do this, you risk a runaway inflator inflating your backup BC without your knowledge. We all know that power inflators are the least reliable piece of equipment we use. I dont want to have to worry about two of them. If I was diving steel doubles with a wetsuit (AHHHHHH, the horror!!!!), I would think about getting a double bladder 70# wing for that situation.

I am just curious what problems you have w/ OMS, I was thinking about getting some stuff from them and dont want to if there are a lot of problems w/ the company. Those 112's you have, they are LP right? Are they a lot heavier than HP 100's or 120's?? I was also just curious how tall you were. Sorry for the million questions. Thanks for the informative reply.

btw do you find you sometimes need more gas when you dive the 112's?

Gerard

Uncle Pug:
Chris (since we are already off the beaten track) if a power inflator starts filling your double bladder wing you wouldn't know which inflator it was. You would however be able to feel your suit inflating vs your wing in the second instance.

can I redirect this thread back toward the tank issue?? hehehe just kidding you guys have been helpful thanks.

gerardnealon:
I am just curious what problems you have w/ OMS, I was thinking about getting some stuff from them and dont want to if there are a lot of problems w/ the company.

PM is on its way.

Those 112's you have, they are LP right? Are they a lot heavier than HP 100's or 120's??

Yes, they are rated to 2640 with a 10% overfill. I had a set of HP-100's and yes, they are heavier by about 20# (IIRC).

I was also just curious how tall you were.
On a good day, I am 5'10".

Sorry for the million questions. Thanks for the informative reply.
No problemo...

btw do you find you sometimes need more gas when you dive the 112's?

Gerard

No, they are fine when they are jacked to 3200 or so...
:p

I hope you paid for that little bit of blatant advertising... :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom