Tampa wrecks/sites

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not an expert but, they are one and the same.

Hey you:)

JW, what you and the missus do in the privacy of your room is of no mind to any of us here :54:

Hey All-
Out of the 2 wrecks (SouthJack and 10Fathom), which one of the 2 would you rather dive. Considering wreck swim thru's, fish life, and acessibility
What type of viz can be expected on either of these sites? Who would you recommend for a charter?

LOL- thanks MissD.

Frog - EAN - or Mike can you help me figure this crazy mess out? The bottom line is that if i can dive the Steamer or JackWreck instead of the sheridan in a couple weeks, i'd rather do the ones a little closer in - save time and gas. thanks guys.
JW

You could dive both the Southjack Wreck and 10-Fathom Wreck (also known as the Tramp Steamer) on the same day. Both about 60 feet deep, both pretty much broken down natural wrecks, though the Southjack was twin-screw and the 10-Fathom was single screw and has/had higher structure. It appears they were both salvaged after their sinkings, though I have found portholes on both of them. Lots of marine life, and typically blanketed by baitfish.
I have a sitemap of the Southjack Wreck in my book.
Cheers,
Mike

After visiting both wrecks many times, I can offer the following:

10 Fathom Wreck - A typical coastal freighter built somewhere between 1890 and 1920. Powered by a single boiler (mostly gone) and a single four cylinder quadruple expansion steam engine. She had a rounded bow and wide beam, as she was built for carrying capacity, not for speed.

South Jack Wreck - This was no tramp steamer, this was a thourobred! The SJW fell into a class of vessel known as steam yachts. (Think money, and lots of it!) This is evidenced by her layout, dimensions and what remains of the bow and masts. She was probably built between 1890 and 1910, and she would have been a regular floating palace. She had an extremely narrow beam as noted by the fore and aft twin boiler arangement and the tandem engine assembly (to keep her narrow). The SJW probably sank due to a collision, as she sank very quickly and the engines were still running! (All of the tips of both propellers are bent over!)

In both cases I doubt any serious attempt was made at salvage, because the valuable pieces of machinery--the engines, boilers and propellers--were still on the wreck site.

Wow! very good information A-Mike and Frogman. Much appreciated. Im very interested in checking these 2 sites out in the near future.
Frog- r u interested in planning another trip like we did for the FinBarge trip?

Wow! very good information A-Mike and Frogman. Much appreciated. Im very interested in checking these 2 sites out in the near future.
Frog- r u interested in planning another trip like we did for the FinBarge trip?

Another convoy! :multi:

What type of viz can be expected on either of these sites? Who would you recommend for a charter?

Viz varies, of course. Head out with Capt. Ty - u can pm him here on the board. Alternately, wait for someone to post a trip with opening on their boat. Lately the winds have been too bad to do much of anything.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom