Tampa to Cancun ferry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'll believe it when I see it.

This supposed Tampa ferry idea keeps coming up from time to time and it keeps not happening in any enduring way.

If this happened, I'd certainly do it. Calica is where the car ferry to the island lands, so one could just turn around and get to the island. A van full of stuff for the house, especially stuff that tends to be expensive in Mexico compared to the US such as large TV's, computer gear, and the like or bulky things would be worth the import duty even if one didn't have a visa that enabled one-time importation of household goods. For those on an FMM (tourist visa) lasting 6 months, this could be a way of keeping a US-registered car in Mexico without having to drive to a border every 6 months. Yes, it'd take longer than driving to Belize, but if one stocks the car with goodies at US prices that makes Tampa much more attractive. (Unless you're in Chetumal, in which case Belize is definitely a no-brainer).

Considering how long it would take for either Mexican or US border control to process all those cars and their passengers, I think this could be quite painful on landing at either end. It wouldn't matter if one had Sentri, since there'd still be the huge line slowly dribbling off the ferry.

I'll believe it when I see it.

This supposed Tampa ferry idea keeps coming up from time to time and it keeps not happening in any enduring way.

If this happened, I'd certainly do it. Calica is where the car ferry to the island lands, so one could just turn around and get to the island. A van full of stuff for the house, especially stuff that tends to be expensive in Mexico compared to the US such as large TV's, computer gear, and the like or bulky things would be worth the import duty even if one didn't have a visa that enabled one-time importation of household goods. For those on an FMM (tourist visa) lasting 6 months, this could be a way of keeping a US-registered car in Mexico without having to drive to a border every 6 months. Yes, it'd take longer than driving to Belize, but if one stocks the car with goodies at US prices that makes Tampa much more attractive. (Unless you're in Chetumal, in which case Belize is definitely a no-brainer).

Considering how long it would take for either Mexican or US border control to process all those cars and their passengers, I think this could be quite painful on landing at either end. It wouldn't matter if one had Sentri, since there'd still be the huge line slowly dribbling off the ferry.

Pretty much my feelings... IF it takes shape. Big IF.. Marketing is the key to the whole enterprise. I would also find a partner to offer Mexican car insurance pre trip. Make the trip as painless as possible for the tourist and all that..

I have been reading about the ferries for years. The last ferry shut down just before we bought our house in Cozumel. A good friend made the trip down on this boat. She and her husband brought a station wagon full of stuff down when they moved.

Having made the drive to Cozumel from North Louisiana 12 times I can tell you it is a long haul. Just over 2,200 miles. And for me it takes 12 hours to Brownsville and then after clearing customs and immigration it takes an additional 32-36 hours of driving.

Like most folks bringing stuff down that won't fit or is not allowed was the simple reason. Things like an air compressor, generator, pressure washer, lawn furniture, interior furniture, and of course a couple of cars. Plus countless other things.

To enter Mexico with a vehicle you have to have a clear title or have the bank sign off on importation. In addition you need an importation sticker for your vehicle and Mexican insurance. All of this could done in Tampa before you ever drive on the ferry.

The other part is paying import duties via customs. You declare in writing the items you are bringing in and their value. Either through bills or records and you pay a 17% duty on these items. If the items are used you can make up an appropriate value. You could also do this in Tampa if the company works out the logistics.

I could enjoy the ocean view for a couple of days. Drive off one ferry and then pay my $35 and catch the car ferry to Cozumel.

Mexico could benefit from the addtional flow of tourists and dollars and it would allow US citizens who were fearful of driving through the northern part of Mexico to see the southern part which has a very low crime rate.

Jim, thanks so much.. I wondered how long thru Mexico it would be. Marketing will be the key, as I keep saying... I noticed that the fee to begin with will be low.. we shall see. I am encouraged by the fact that they have pulled permits on the Mexican end of the op. With gas prices so high driving plane fares up... this could be a golden opportunity as well for Mexican business as well.. insurance and others... I plan on keeping up to see where this goes... Fla Trend mag had an article recently on this..

"As a note, I've seen several of these Ferries pop up out of Tampa to Cancun over the years. They aren't in business long. Make sure you've got some way to get a refund in case they close. (credit card, trip insurance, etc)."

good point. i came close to buying last time this was available. smelled a rat and sure enough they shut down overnight with no refunds.

I just can't see it being viable, as just how many people would trust taking their car and or driving around in Mexico? Other than the people who have second homes there, I guarentee it isn't enough to make a profit.....Mexico is just too lawless, corrupt, scary for the majority of Americans to seriously consider taking a car there to vacation.

Will not happen, or if it does, will fail very quickly, just like the other ferry endevours.

Here's what I don't get. The diving in coz just isn't THAT good. It's just typically been THAT good for how cheap it is. Now you're going to throw some days at sea into the equation. At the point where you're taking a 10-12 day trip (assuming you want the same number of dive days) you can go to the Pacific for roughly the same money and effort, so what's the point? And if you were good with just a few dive days, why even leave Florida? I can easily keep myself busy for four dive days in KL. YMMV

I just can't see it being viable, as just how many people would trust taking their car and or driving around in Mexico? Other than the people who have second homes there, I guarentee it isn't enough to make a profit.....Mexico is just too lawless, corrupt, scary for the majority of Americans to seriously consider taking a car there to vacation.

Will not happen, or if it does, will fail very quickly, just like the other ferry endevours.

Oddly enough there are a LOT Of Americans living in Mexico and Belize... a once a week ferry might be fae more viable than one would think given proper marketing. Large expat community in Campeche and Merida.
Northern Belize has Ambergris Caye and Corazol Town. Playa and Chetumal have their expat commuinities too as does Cozumel and Isla.

I am curious.. if Mexico, the Yucatan specific is so crime ridden, aren't you afraid to go there? just sayin.........:blinking:

Here's what I don't get. The diving in coz just isn't THAT good. It's just typically been THAT good for how cheap it is. Now you're going to throw some days at sea into the equation. At the point where you're taking a 10-12 day trip (assuming you want the same number of dive days) you can go to the Pacific for roughly the same money and effort, so what's the point? And if you were good with just a few dive days, why even leave Florida? I can easily keep myself busy for four dive days in KL. YMMV

Yes that IS true..but believe it or not, some of actually live IN florida.. Your points are valid to a point. Gotta remember more than just divers go to the Yucatan. Even if you don't necessarily take your vehicle over... getting around the plane wt restriction bringing in goods is worth the fare...

There are high speed car ferry boats available that would make the trip much more marketable. There is a high speed car ferry that crosses lake Michigan in 2 1/2 hours, these ferrys can carry about 50 cars and run at 40mph. That would make the trip from Tampa to Cancun in about 7-8 hours. Pretty much the same time spent flying when you take into account getting to the air port ahead of time etc...

Website-center.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom