Tampa Bay Wrecks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Likes2Cruise

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well, you don't know what you don't know - so here's my question:

While looking at nautical charts for boating in Tampa Bay, I notice there are a number of sunken ships in the bay itself.
Although they are shallow (10-20'), why wouldn't some one dive these? Viz? Current? other dangers I haven't thought of?

Thanks,

Excellent question. If you have your own boat diving these shouldn't be an issue IF you can find the accurate GPS or Lorane numbers.

Viz will be like viz anywhere else in our region, hit or miss depending on conditions. There are times where you can see the bottom in 20ft from the surface and times you can't.

Depending on the location of these wrecks, tides and currents MAY play a role in diving them but in most cases they wont.

To my knowledge, there aren't any charters that do the bay but I could be wrong.

Well, I got access to a boat. And that's what had me looking at the navigation charts for Tampa Bay. Saw all the 'wreck' symbols and did some research and found details on some of them.
Was just looking at them as a way to get out on the boat and get wet in the process without a multi-hour run to other dive sites.

Is the boat in a marina or is it trailered? What area is the boat, city wise? How big of a boat? Are you limited to just the bay?

There are some nice things to dive off clearwater beach within 10 miles. There are spots to launch and your ride out is not too long depending on speed and boat size.

Actually, I joined a Boat Club and have access to multiple locations. I have yet to take their off-shore training which will give me access to their bigger offshore boats.

I'm aware of the many off-shore sites that will be within reach once I get that training in. Just hard to get off from work for a day to get it done. Plus, sometime, closer and quicker is better.

In my experience, many of the wreck symbols on nautical charts have a PA next to them. This means "position approximate" and I have not been able to find any yet. I have looked. Good luck.

You also have to consider the depth, at 20' your bottom sounder will have a very small "footprint" and finding something will be harder!
It can be a fun day on the water dispite all this though, and you may get lucky!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom