Suggestion Tampa bay sub-forum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
D

dgiese01

New
Reaction score
Anybody in here live in the Tampa Bay area? I'm new to diving and am looking for a buddy or 5... My only friend who dives lives in GA so we can only dive together a few times a year. I'm getting a little sick of always being at the mercy of dive charters all the time.

I'm not into any specialty or difficult dives yet, I just want to log some nice easy dives for awhile until I get more comfortable and then the real fun can begin!

eandiver:
I'm wearing my 7. It'll be hot topside but fine in the water.

Perhaps I should just lug one. I hate lugging stuff I only have a little M3.

Water temps at Clearwater were 74 today. That's shallow temp. Going to be cooler at 40'.

Thing is, I have to grab some tanks for meme. She flies in on Saturday. So I told her I would grab them. Oh, well.

Look at www.ndbc.noaa.gov/Maps/Florida.shtml and click on the shaded box around the Tampa Bay area then click on a bouy for temps. Looks like the mid to upper 60's out there.

Car's going to be loaded down eh?

yeah I was on a site earlier (sorta the same type info)
It show off Pasco/Pinellas as being about 67
Venice is alittle warmer though
For me 65 starts to get alittle cold
I'd definitely be wanting 5-7m suit for that

ok, you guys are starting to worry me talking about this 60 degree water temp stuff. I have done all my dives in 72 and higher water.....if that is the water temps this week, see ya....I'll wait until it is in the 70's..

A 3/2 is fine for one or two dives, but when I was in Jupiter, we dove in 71 degree water (also it was a drift dive, so we weren't moving around a lot) and by dive 3 I was getting cold.

I had a 7mm, hood, and thin gloves. Dives were about 45-50 min each with a 20 min surface interval for the first two, 2 hours, then two more dives back to back.

By dive 4 I was getting uncomfortable - and by uncomfortable I mean that the chill was more top-of-mind than being interested in looking/appreciating the fish -

Just my two cents..

D.

The Gulf water is still a bit cool so plan for it. My rule of thumb is below 75 is a 7mm, above 80 is a 3mm and in between is a 3/3 farmer john. Since I don't have a farmer john I make do with the others. Everyones tolerances are different so you need to keep that in mind. Suit fit makes a world of difference too.

Sunday is shaping up to be an excellent day. Nice and warm topside and cool (not cold) water temps so there should be no problems.

Back
Top Bottom