Tampa Bay Area Divers, Part 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eandiver:
If we ever get Frogman and N@rco$i$ together on the same boat god help the fisherman who acts like that................

it could be fun, frog could keep'em busy yelling profanity at them while I swim under thier boat and take the drain plug and propeller cotter pin and nut. we could then go to another spot for the first dive of the day and come back later and be the first to dive the new wreck.

eandiver:
Slacker:D

They're raising hell over at the Continental ticket counter because IT at reservations is taking too many sick days.

You know how many people have wanted to go to Newark but ended up in Houston instead?

Like a russian co-worker once told me "problem is between keyboard and chair". And IMO Houston and Newark are both dumps, so unless they read the signs at the airport they probably won't be able to tell the difference.
Side note:No offense intended to fellow SB'ers from either city

OK, I have enough divers "interested" in the bug hunt so I'll call around and get prices and such. Stay tuned.

eandiver:
If we ever get Frogman and N@rco$i$ together on the same boat god help the fisherman who acts like that................

That would be awesome.

Very funny about being the first on the "New Wreck" Narcosis.

Hey isn't there only like one weekend in August for bug hunting until the season starts?

skink:
I just wanted to say thanks again to everyone who went out on the Irish Wake yesterday. I had a great time. The weather was perfect, the diving was great. It was a pleasure meeting each of you.
Frogman, thanks for having us, but please try to remember to be more kind to the fishermen.

Same goes for me!!

:jump:

The Official Report (any other report not officially sanction by Skipper, yada yada....)

Twas a beautiful day on the water with only one dark moment (already mentioned above).

Left the dock just after 8 with all crew aboard bound west through inlet and around Bean Point. With a minor course adjustment a few points to the south, turned on the autopilot kicked back for the ride.

First stop, the Fin Barge. 300' long, capsized with 2 large steering fins at the stern. There were already a boat area surface fishing, but they were willing to share. (Nice people.) Judged the wind, dropped the anchor and drifted back towards the wreck. Dropped a shot line from the stern, dropped down and bullseye! Right in the middle of the wreck. (Don't expect that all the time.) TheCaptain,Skink and went in. First we went back to the fins where I normally find the monsters, but only saw one off in the sand. Headed up to the wreck's bow, and started looking through the open loading doors. There they were, about half a dozen 6-7' Jewfish, leisurely swimming with their entourage of feeders clustered around them. TheCaptains eye got as big as saucers, fascinated by the lounging giants. We had a hard time prying him away to come back to the boat. (Vis 40', temp 72, depth 80')

Back on the surface TheCaptain said, "I gotta say it, Mama Mia that's a big fish!"

Next in were Duncan1958, Cooltech and Je Souhaite. They also came back with tales of "the big fish".

Next stop six nautical miles SSE, to the South Jack Wreck. My personal favorite to date, this a early 20th century fast steamer or pleasure yacht. There was another fishing boat there (already discussed), so we anchored about 30 yards to the west.

I, TheCaptain and Skink went down first again. We followed the rust patterns in the sand straight the the wreck, where I proceed to start the tour, pointing out the boilers, bow, propellers, until we got to the engine. TheCaptain shown his light underneath, finding a 5' nurse shark and another Jewfish. From then on, it was all fish, all the time and my talents as underwater tour guide went to waste.

Next in were Duncan and Cooltech, Je Souhaite sitting this dive out after getting up WAY to early in the morning and getting a bit fatigued on the first dive. We watched the bubbles go straight to the wreck, tracing back and forth from stem to stern. Then we watch the bubbles turn for the return path, making a perfect run back to the boat. The bubbles came up perfectly under the stern, and we expected to see them come up the shot line any moment. But no, the bubbles kept going. And going. After about 5 minutes we decided they probably didn't intend to go to the panhandle, and began the process of pulling the anchor. By the time the anchor was up, 2 sausages were spotted off the stern quarter and we started up the engine to pick up the winners of this week's underwater navigation contest. (Vis 15', temp 70, depth 60')

Then it was time the long voyage back to port. Since I had previously twisted Duncan's arm into bringing a couple of bottles of wine from Spain, we had arranged a little cook out afterwords. There was some good cooking and some good eating before we called it a night.

Frog (aka Rich)

We have had how many posts over how many thread - not just the Tampa 1, 2, and 3. We actually plan dives and dive. We have people from all over the "Greater Tampa Bay Area Diving". It is phenomenal what has been accomplished. Do we get a sub-forum - no. However, the freaking trolls get one. Just so one or two can W**K off on a daily basis. Anyone that knows me knows I am even tempered it takes a whole lot to anger me and that has. Okay my rant is over.

N@rco$i$:
it could be fun, frog could keep'em busy yelling profanity at them while I swim under thier boat and take the drain plug....

Me mother raised me to be be a gentleman. Well at least she tried...

MissD can yell at the fishermen while you pull the plug and I run the air drill! (Yes, they do work underwater!):D

What dives are Tampa divers signing up for?

I'm going through the sign-up form now.

frogman_5:
Me mother raised me to be be a gentleman. Well at least she tried...

MissD can yell at the fishermen while you pull the plug and I run the air drill! (Yes, they do work underwater!):D

I am more than happy to fill any position necessary! Wow, sounds like some great diving. I love the Goliaths! Dying to get a really good pic of one near something so that others can see the size.

Glad it was a nurse shark - think we can go without a bull for a while :D Thanks for the report Frogman.

And yes to all others I call them Goliath Groupers not necessarily to be pc but I like say Goliath actually. Much nicer ring to it than Jew.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom