Talk me *OUT* of a BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back plate is useful for doubles. Otherwise a jacket works fine for a single tank. Some jackets trim better than others. Sidemount is good too. Personally would rather have a sign round my neck saying knobhead than wear a backplate for a single tank recreational dive. Look at the pic above, it will become obvious why.

Well OMANDIVER gets the award for the dumbest thing I'll read today.

Looks like someone needed some attention today

So, after 93 comments, have you been talked out of a BP/W?

Ahah! I don't think I've had more than 3 people try. I think they misread the topic title as "don't let anyone talk me out of a BP/W" :rofl3:

Me, too. Went with a oxycheq wing and SS bp as my first rig (after 12 dives total) about 15 months ago and have no regrets. Most of any lead needed goes in cam-band pockets, which really helped with my trim. A few more pounds of lead go in ditchable pockets on the waist belt, but as others have said, ditchable probably isn't necessary (unless you're unconscious and overweighted at the surface.) I've taken it on 4 trips by air thus far in checked luggage. I'll probably get a lighter plate someday (and use more lead when I travel), but hasn't been a deal breaker. The 38# wing is way more lift than I need for single tank, but frankly it's not that much larger physically than the 28# and I doubt there's much difference in drag. A smaller wing might pack more easily I suppose.

And the bigger lift means I can use this rig for my upcoming dives with back mounted doubles when I do a deco procedures course next week (Sorry, had to sneak that in - I'm really amped about it!)

Unlike some wings, the oxycheq doesn't require a STA for use with a single tank.

I've mainly used it with wetsuits, but have done a handful of dives with a new drysuit without adjusting it. It worked okay, but the thicker suit and undergarment made the shoulder straps tighter and this may have slowed getting the air bubble to the dump valve on the left arm (I'm still not sure about that one.)

One last thing: My wing is fluorescent orange, which I consider a big advantage over boring black. I want to be as visible as possible to my buddy and to the boat when I'm on the surface. No ninja diving for me.

Reactions: g2
The 38# wing ...

And the bigger lift means I can use this rig for my upcoming dives with back mounted doubles when I do a deco procedures course next week (Sorry, had to sneak that in - I'm really amped about it!)

A 38# wing for diving doubles? How did you determine that that will be enough lift for diving doubles on deco dives?

38lbs is enough to offset about 300cf of gas with a bit of room to spare to keep your head at the surface. More than enough for a set of say double 120's with an al30/al40 for deco if you're diving a balanced rig in a drysuit and don't have to factor in compression of a suit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom