Talk me *OUT* of a BP/W setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The single most important factor in determining required lift is the buoyancy of the exposure suit. The volume of the back gas plays some part, but I shake my head when I see wings sold as being "rated" for XX tanks, and there is zero discussion of the suit buoyancy.

BC's or Buoyancy Compensators are needed to compensate for things that lose buoyancy (become less positive) WRT to depth. Only the diver's exposure suit loses buoyancy. Cylinders don't lose buoyancy, in fact they become less negative / more positive as the gas is drained.

Tobin

You can cut it close if you want, but 43 years of diving in different conditions and 2000+ dives makes me err on the side of having contingencies in place. I'm not a gear fag and have to have the latest rage or fad gadget to conduct enjoyable and safe dives. Remember what I said about old and bold. I also don't need an explanation on buoyancy either. I think I have that figured out at this point.

Interesting. He should certainly know. I know several people who have trained with him and was considering going down there to do Trimix. I will look forward to hearing how your class goes. I hope you'll post a report.
Aye, aye... will report sometime after July 10th.

You can cut it close if you want, but 43 years of diving in different conditions and 2000+ dives makes me err on the side of having contingencies in place. I'm not a gear fag and have to have the latest rage or fad gadget to conduct enjoyable and safe dives. Remember what I said about old and bold. I also don't need an explanation on buoyancy either. I think I have that figured out at this point.

Where specifically did I *ever* suggest one should "cut it close"?

Tobin

My instructor said so. He said he personally doesn't like anything bigger than 40#, and specifically said 38# would be fine for the pair of LP85s I'd be training with. I'm clueless, of course, but the instructor seems to have a bit of experience in these matters. I'll guess I'll find out on July 5th when I meet him for the start of the 5-day combo course.

The course is being taught by John Chatterton in Pompano Beach; based on some recommendations I decided it was worth the trip to Florida.

I plan to do his AN/DP class next year and get this, it was my WIFES idea. I read his books, Shadow Divers and Pirate Hunters, and then my wife read them and started looking him up online. She saw he was now in Pompano and taught classes. I love my wife..

I plan to do his AN/DP class next year and get this, it was my WIFES idea. I read his books, Shadow Divers and Pirate Hunters, and then my wife read them and started looking him up online. She saw he was now in Pompano and taught classes. I love my wife..
Now that is a good wife - telling you to go out and spend money instead of spending it for you!:rofl3:

Yup, she is awesome. I have a friend that lives in Pompano and I will stay with him and his family for the week and take the class and dive with JOHN CHATTERTON!!!!!!

Exactly. However when *YOU* elect to quote my posts it clearly suggests I either said or implied things you commented on.

Say whatever you wish, but don't quote others implying they said things they never did.

Tobin

My comment was addressing everyone to question the direction of going with small size wings, I used the example of Scubapro rating their Classic and the buoyancy it provides. Which you sideways disparaged their rating system. Scubapro has been an industry leader for 53 years for a reason, they have a history of making safe, quality and innovative products that serve their customers well. My point was to say that yes you can buy smaller BCD capacity bladders, but to not look at everything in a perfect dive scenario. It only takes once for things to end badly in the water. There are a lot of new, inexperienced divers on the board and they are looking for good advise, and listen when the person giving advice has apparent credibility from having high level certifications or in your case a manufacturer of dive equipment. Someone in your position should be able to talk about the technical advantages/pros and cons. A perfect example would have been to talk about your decision to make wings vs conventional jackets. There is plenty of time to sell equipment, after someone has the best information available. One must take care to offer advise so that the person asking can make a decision without being pressured to go a certain direction. If you read the thread, we have one diver who's instructor's opinion is that 48 lbs is the minimum and wants 60 lbs of lift. I also agree with that conclusion based upon my real world experience, and found myself in less than ideal dive conditions several times. I have had to assist other divers in distress, who found their equipment setup inadequate at the worst possible time. Equipment does fail. Dry suits are'nt so dry and if your BCD is inadequate to begin with and the dry suit is part of your buoyancy, you can have a problem when it stops working. Especially with a heavily laden diver. It has been said that when your only tool is a hammer, all problems start to look like nails. If the largest wing you make is 38 lbs, then I guess nobody needs a bigger one. My opinion is just that, my opinion. I thought this was a place to have a discussion on diving equipment, training,techniques, etc.? Was I wrong in my assumption?

I guess it depends on whether you want a BCD or a life raft attached to your back.

Scubapro is just another overpriced distributor.

Back
Top Bottom