Talcum Powder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScouterJT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay ... new-ish Dry Suit diver here. And I have paid the premium for *good* talc from my LDS. Is there a reliable source for talcum powder other than my LDS? Everyplace I look, the *basic* talc powder has a fragrance added, so I don't know if I should use that.

Okay ... new-ish Dry Suit diver here. And I have paid the premium for *good* talc from my LDS. Is there a reliable source for talcum powder other than my LDS? Everyplace I look, the *basic* talc powder has a fragrance added, so I don't know if I should use that.

I've never used any of it. Real talc has a warning to keep it away from your face and to not breathe it. Because of where it's mined, some contains asbestos.

Most "baby powder" is actually cornstarch.

Terry

Silver Cup Premium Talc

This is where I get mine.

Bought two bottles about 4 years ago. Just finishing them up now, about 900 dives later.

---
Ken

hubby bought a big tub at a hairdressing supply store (barbers use the talc)

cheers

John,
If you're just wanting something to make it easier to get in/out of your wrist seals, do what a lot of us in NJ do and use a spray bottle mix of baby shampoo/water. Just make sure that you go heavy on the baby shampoo side. Before putting your hand in, spray the inside of the wrist seal liberally and your hand goes through like butter. Then after the dive, spray your hand and just pull your hand out. Doesn't get any easier than that. This mix is also excellent for spraying into your gloves before putting your hands in. If you want something for storage, just get some seal saver and use it on the seals before putting it away. YMMV

Franco

If you want something for storage, just get some seal saver and use it on the seals before putting it away.

Seal Saver is silicone, and can make it difficult to attach new seals when the time comes. In fact, DUI specifically recommends against using Seal Saver, for that very reason.

One of the best things you can do for long-term storage is put the drysuit in an opaque bag, and keep it in a dark place, away from UV light and sources of ozone (water heaters, etc). Also keep it out of the garage, as car emissions can cause premature damage as well. This is actually good advice for any rubber product, including westuits.

NAPA auto stores have unscented talc. I use KY jelly. Water soluble, works better than talc and will not harm your seals in any way.

I'll second the KY for getting into and out of the seals. Also, putting down a tube of KY, some brass clips, Duct tape, and rope at the same time and smiling at the cashier can be lots of fun.

Use the corn starch or talc on the seals when they are dry and whenever you may be storing the suit for any long periods of time, it keeps the seals from sticking together and will help absorbe any skin oils that will damage the seals over time.

I get mine from a local pool billiards store.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom