Taking the full face mask course, does anyone have the crew pack?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

they cause far more problems than they solve and I firmly believe they are a tool to be used only when necessary, i.e. contaminated water and when comms are required.
For things like deep diving they are properly annoying because you either have to deal with switch blocks *which are expensive, annoying, and highly risky*, or you have to come off of the FFM to switch to another bottle.
Actually the neptune space can support a second first stage input so you just plumb two bottles in and turn the correct one on. I can't say how well it works as I've only read about it. I wouldn't use the mask on a technical dive anyway. Way too burpy in my experience.

Actually the neptune space can support a second first stage input so you just plumb two bottles in and turn the correct one on. I can't say how well it works as I've only read about it. I wouldn't use the mask on a technical dive anyway. Way too burpy in my experience.

there are a few others that can do something similar, but it's still a bit of a cluster to try to deal with. They aren't used in technical diving unless we have to for comms and I maintain that for recreational diving they are a specialty piece of equipment that should only be used when absolutely necessary. If that means you want to talk to your buddy during your entire dive then I'm all for it, and we actually use them when teaching where the students have receive only units for teaching things like scientific diving so we can talk to them underwater and give instant feedback that way, but they are properly irritating at the best of times.

Do you think it would be a problem taking other classes from a padi dive center without the ffm certification?

That will depend on the dive center. It has nothing to do with PADI. I am not a fan of people using the face mask in classes unless they are needed. As to tbone stated, the ffm is a tool to be used when needed. I spent a year diving my ffm on every recreational dive and came to the conclusion it has its purposes, but it isn’t all that great for all situations. It works well when used properly and for certain applications.

I have achieved master diver certification along with Nitrox and AOW certs. Before I bought a FFM, I have been using an Aqualung core. I bought my FFM and installed a quick disconnect so I can transfer between my FFM and my core regulator. I keep a spare set of goggles in my BCD and practice transferring from FFM and normal and vice versa. As far as a FFM mask being a pain, I disagree. To me it comfortable, you don’t have the “pulling” sensation like you do with your primary/secondary. No dry mouth during your dive.

There are a lot of misconceptions out there that say if you use a FFM that you air will be used faster etc. I have personally proven that to be false. Bottom line for me is I love mine and think it’s the best thing next to sliced bread.

I am a recreational diver, I am not and do not want to be a technical diver. If your not technical a FFM is awesome. If you a welder or someone who works doing boat repairs etc a full face mask with comms is excellent.

I have no comms gear on mine. Maybe will add later but not needed.

If your on the fence about a FFM, they have open house days at some of the local dive places where you can try before you buy.

I love mine and I think most of you that try one for recreational use will as well.

Glenn

There are a lot of misconceptions out there that say if you use a FFM that you air will be used faster etc. I have personally proven that to be false. Bottom line for me is I love mine and think it’s the best thing next to sliced bread.

I am a recreational diver, I am not and do not want to be a technical diver. If your not technical a FFM is awesome. If you a welder or someone who works doing boat repairs etc a full face mask with comms is excellent.

I have used full-face masks for years, both for industry and as a recreational diver; and depending upon the type of mask involved -- whether it is "on demand," which include the bulk of current recreational FFM gear; or that of "positive pressure" / "over-pressurized," like those we typically use, for, heh, "questionable" environments -- there is, to be expected, some increased air consumption, since the regulators are actually tuned to free-flow a bit, into the masks, regardless of the rate of inhalation.

Add sundry communication equipment and the dubious ability for yammering with other divers; and your air consumption will markedly increase . . .

I just signed up for the full face mask class. I just picked up a Neptune full face mask with coms. I am a little nervous as I only have about 20 dives in and the face mask clearing was the worst part for me during my OW course. The fact that I wear contacts doesn't help either lol.

I see padi does not have elearning for the class. The shop said there was a padi full face mask manual, but they didnt have one because it was a specialty course. I cant really seem to find the manual or crew pack online. Does someone has one lying around that they would be willing to sell.

Thanks!

Ocean Reef instructor manuals can be downloaded here
Training | OCEAN REEF Diving

The instructor manuals are quite extensive and more of a combination student / instructor manual. Also note there are separate mask and comms manuals so grab both.

I was quite impressed when I demoed one and bought myself the predator.

Sam

After reading all the material you guys have referenced, I am getting a better understating of the FFM. I have also been practicing taking it off and on in the pool which is a weird feeling. I am thinking of forgoing the FFM class as the neptune manual shows there are only a few skills needed such as taking it off, switching to an octo and putting a reg mask on. If I go on a boat charter, I know they check for my OW cert, but will anyone require me to show the FFM cert?

I know they check for my OW cert, but will anyone require me to show the FFM cert?
You have asked this several times. Do you not like the answers you've gotten?

You have asked this several times. Do you not like the answers you've gotten?
I heard I only need OW and nitrox. I was just wondering if anyone was challenged by any boat charters.

I know they check for my OW cert, but will anyone require me to show the FFM cert?

No one will bother with any of that crap.

I learned to use FFMs well before they even came up with any specialty classes; and I haven’t faced a substantial question about them, for decades — either in industry; the sciences; or on a sports-dive boat — aside from some idle curiosity from fellow divers, who haven’t used them . . .

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom