Taking Rescue Course and I don't think the conditions are good to dive in.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got back from the rescue class. I knew the conditions were not going to be very good when I could hear the waves 2 blocks away and it started to sprinkle. We started out with the carrying the diver out 3 different ways. It was pretty bad, whenever a wave hit us my buddy would go flying over my head and we would both tumble under water.

The current was very strong with a rip. Before we could even get to the float the majority of the class was about 100 yards off course. So much that the dive master had to assist in towing two students to the float before the class started. The class went though the same skills we went though in the pool. It was a constant struggle to stay in the area of the float because of the current. I ended up finishing up the class but it felt like I was in a rescue panicked situation the entire time.

During the entire class I was thinking about how much I could get for my dive gear and selling it all. Based on what happened today, I don't think I am going to dive anymore. I used to not be afraid of the ocean and enjoyed it, but having a constant struggle and using all of my energy to just stay near the float then practicing the skills was not fun. Even during the CPR part when getting my head dunked with waves was horrible. It was such a good feeling once my feet touched the sand and I was out of the ocean. I was relieved and grateful to get out of the ocean!

I have a deep diver class scheduled for next week and I am going to cancel it. I have no desire to go in the water anymore. Even swimming with my head above water I don't want to do

I did my AOW after about 15 total dives. It wasnt an awesome experience. I would first say and some disagree with me that at 20 dives you should not have taken a rescue course. I am guessing you had already taken AOW as I think its a requirement.

So basically half of your dives now after the rescue course have been WORK. You say you want to quit diving forever. I say what others have said. You need to stop training, stop working. We dive to have fun, not have other divers flying over our heads in big waves and end up tumbling together..... thats insane at 20 dives.

I guess what im trying to say is relax, go somewhere tropical, dive in 80 degree water. You are in San Diego, im up near San Francisco. Hop on a 2 and a half hour flight and go down to Cabo San Lucas.

You have literally had the navy seal version of scuba training. You will love the diving and be amazed how easy and comfortable it is in tropical waters.

I almost gave up on diving altogether. I also had the EXACT same moment in the water in training about how i was going to sell all my equipment and quit diving forever. I had a bad deep dive in monterey CA where all three of us students got dark narked. Basically an unreasonable fear. Brought on likely by cold dark water with almost no visibility and freezing cold at 100 feet. I fought it off and the other two bolted to the surface when they got back to about 30 feet depth.

I also had dumb students on the navigation and searching for equipment on the ocean floor dive. One guy was racing around blowing through his air and we all had to use maximum force on kicks to keep together. Needless to say this is the opposite of what you want to do. You can knock yourself unconscious like that if deep enough.

I actually did not quit and have since dove more in mexico and done wreck dives in the philippines and boat dives in monterey and have a blast every time.

Dont give up. Just dont take any more classes. leave those for later when you get another 50 to 100 dives under your belt.

HAVE FUN. Dont WORK.

Be safe while doing it.

Report that instructor btw.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom