Taking pictures of the Moon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RonFrank:
Nice mood there Kevin! HArd to get those moons toned down huh. You can burn them in CS, but burnt out whites are impossible to save. Shove a properly expoused moon shot in this image, and NICE!! But good job on getting all but the moon exposued in a nice manner.
Thanks Ron, you're right about the burn of the moon (or sun for that matter) on those types of shots. I never tried to insert another shot of a properly exposed orb in the picture before. Interesting idea, gonna have to try that!!

Scubatooth:
What by chance was the exposure on that image as that has a beautiful blue/purple tone to it on my screen. this shot reminds me of the other night photography i have done in the past including many a star trail shot (no moon). if i can dig up the image i will post it.

ron is right about the exposure for the moon. there was a article(in one of the major mags) a couple of years ago about moon exposures and i will go dig it up and post it here once i find it.

FWIW

Tooth
I got lucky with that picture anyway, taken with my old Oly 4040 set on program a couple of years ago. I set the white balance on the side of the ship and then tried to hold it still. The photo didn't have any exposure info on it, been to long to remember, sorry.

Please DO post that info from the magazine if you can find it! Very interested!

Here's a shot of the navigation beacon at the Cozumel harbor just north of Presidente Intercontinental. 35mm Olympus Stylus point and shoot. No editing, so the moon is blown out a bit, even though cloud covered. It took me 5 shots to time it so that the nav beacon light was on. No tripod, so I held the camera as still as possible while lying on the ground looking up.

63174278OkkKUT_ph.jpg

abqdiver

do you have the orginal file that came out of the camera? (uneditted?)

charlie99 i dont see the image, did it not embed ?

Here's a couple of moonshots that I have taken utlizing my digital camera on my telescope. My next passion after diving is astronomy, and I own several large telescopes. Utilizing an adapter that mates my digital camera onto an eyepiece I am able to take some great shots of the moon. The additional benefit of using the telescope is that it tracks the movement of the sky and allows you to get very sharp shots.

NJdiverTony:
Here's a couple of moonshots that I have taken utlizing my digital camera on my telescope. My next passion after diving is astronomy, and I own several large telescopes. Utilizing an adapter that mates my digital camera onto an eyepiece I am able to take some great shots of the moon. The additional benefit of using the telescope is that it tracks the movement of the sky and allows you to get very sharp shots.

Wait! Is that the flag I see there in the Sea of Tranquility? :D

Very nice shots. PM on the Camera and Telescope you use.

NJdiverTony:

Wow!!! fantastic...that is what I was trying to achieve...guess I need a telescope to get that quality, eh?

Tried to fix your link Charlie...but it seems the site doesn't support posting pictures on SB...:frown:

Back
Top Bottom