Taking NorCal Pictures, a Discussion... I hope

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for getting this discussion started..great shots by all!
I was just b-day gifted a Cannon p/s and the housing is on the way!

I have a long ways to go..just in operating the camera,much less taking acceptable shots.. but someday I may post one?

Thanks again folks for all the great info!

Drew

Thanks for getting this discussion started..great shots by all!
I was just b-day gifted a Cannon p/s and the housing is on the way!

I have a long ways to go..just in operating the camera,much less taking acceptable shots.. but someday I may post one?

Thanks again folks for all the great info!

Drew

Hey Drew, what set up did you get? Go check out http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/underwater-photography/156914-everything-photo-dslr-compacts-tips-techniques-rebates-deals-look-here-first.html care of Alcina. She is a godsend in regards to photo tips. Definitely post your shots even if you aren't happy with them, that way people can tell you what you're doing wrong or help you out. People on here have saved my butt a bunch and I've run into the problem of having too many pictures and not enough wall space in my apartment just using a Canon SD630 and underwater housing! You'll get great shots, just takes practice and a little research but the results are well worth it!

Coll-Its a cannon SD1100 IS.. the wp-dc22 is on the way! Im fired up.. a DS and an UW camera have been on my list for a long time! It was a very welcome surprise and now I have both!

A few years back Bob (NWGreatfuldiver)from Seattle came for a visit and let me borrow one of his old rigs (a fuji p/s) with some pointers from him and some practice, I was able to produce a few keepers..so I do hold out some hope? I havn't really read the manual in depth..but need to?

Thanks for the links! Much appreciated!

I might PM you with some more ?'s

Drew

Hey Drewpy, feel free to PM me with any questions although there are others out there that can offer better advice than me but I'm sure I can help you with the basics. Read the manual to the camera, anyone will tell you this, the better you know your camera, the better shots you'll get. You'll get good shots don't worry, the trick is to take shots, post them, let people critique them and then apply what you learn to your next outing. For example, I was getting a weird dark area in the corner of my shots, asked about it on here and was promptly told to use the diffuser plate that came with the housing (I imagine yours will have one also). Easy solution resulting in better shots. Just realize it is VERY addicting and more likely than not you'll end up putting more money into it. I actually bought a backup camera incase my housing floods and I plan on getting an external hard drive to store my hundreds of shots on! It's a lot of fun and let me know if there's any other way I can help.

Any tips for us rookies Jim? I've still yet to see a female kelp greenling sitting still. I haven't even been able to fire off a shot at one yet! Share with us your wisdom! :)

You have a very grand scheme of things. ;-)

That's right about where Strawberry Peak is. I';ve got N36 38.490 W121 56.466
which is about 541 feet NW of the outer wash rock.

Yep, that's the spot we were on.

Any tips for us rookies Jim? I've still yet to see a female kelp greenling sitting still. I haven't even been able to fire off a shot at one yet! Share with us your wisdom! :)

I think the best way to get shots of fish is to just hang out in one spot for a while. They get used to you being there and just go about their business. Many of them will get curious and start checking you and the camera out also.

I've been working on shooting nudis from the front or from the bottom too. The affect is much nicer than the top down shots. I really want to try the light table trick that Ken mentioned too. I'd be afraid I might hurt them if I try flying them, so I don't know if I'll try that one yet. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom