!!! taking lobster in Maine and New Hamphshire !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Green_Manelishi

Contributor
Reaction score
It was mentioned at our dive club (UDNH.org) meeting last night that there were some divers taking lobster the other day at Nubble Light.

There is NO legal licensing to allow divers to take lobster in Maine or New Hampshire.

Be aware the penalty is HEAVY if you are caught by the law. It might be even more of a burden if you are caught by a fisherman.

Noone will ask whether you "intended" to keep the ill gotten gains; it will be assumed that because you have them in your possession you intended to keep them.

If you do it you'll F* it up for all of us who are NOT taking the lobster and those who are trying to have the laws changed so it would be legal. Appreciate the lobbys as they are and if you really want to eat one go to a restaurant or buy
one at a fish market.

Green_Manelishi:
Be aware the penalty is HEAVY if you are caught by the law. It might be even more of a burden if you are caught by a fisherman.

"Burden" meaning "shot on sight."

Green_Manelishi:
It was mentioned at our dive club (UDNH.org) meeting last night that there were some divers taking lobster the other day at Nubble Light.

There is NO legal licensing to allow divers to take lobster in Maine or New Hampshire.

Noone will ask whether you "intended" to keep the ill gotten gains; it will be assumed that because you have them in your possession you intended to keep them.

If you do it you'll F* it up for all of us who are NOT taking the lobster and those who are trying to have the laws changed so it would be legal. Appreciate the lobbys as they are and if you really want to eat one go to a restaurant or buy
one at a fish market.

That is not completely correct. While you can not catch and take lobsters in Maine, if you have a pot license and have a pot there, you can dive to empty your pot. You just had better actually have it out there and be able to show it to a fish cop.

I am not referring to the (apparently) legal practice of "emptying your pot". I am talking about grabbing a lobster from the bottom and assuming you can take it home with you.

daveg1:
That is not completely correct. While you can not catch and take lobsters in Maine, if you have a pot license and have a pot there, you can dive to empty your pot. You just had better actually have it out there and be able to show it to a fish cop.

Green_Manelishi:
I am not referring to the (apparently) legal practice of "emptying your pot". I am talking about grabbing a lobster from the bottom and assuming you can take it home with you.

I understand, all I was saying is that just because someone was seen coming out of the water at nubble with lobsters does not mean they were taking them illegally. It is possible to get them legally in Maine.

Yes there are legal ways but it is called fishing for them via traps, not diving for them. Personally speaking I would not risk cleaning my pots via diving; I'd pull them just like they are intended to be used. Of course that assumes the other fishermen do not cut your traps loose.

QUOTE=daveg1]I understand, all I was saying is that just because someone was seen coming out of the water at nubble with lobsters does not mean they were taking them illegally. It is possible to get them legally in Maine.[/QUOTE]

They sell lobsters at Walmarts in Maine? I've got to see that! No diving for lobsters in Maine? That's probably why I don't dive in Maine. :wink:

The LobstaMan

Is there legislation actually being proposed to legalize lobster diving in Maine? If I ever moved up there that would sure be a great perk to living in Maine. I dove up there a fews years back and the amount of lobsters was unbelievable.

Those "lobstermen" in Maine should have to deal with a little competition like the rest of us (without the government giving them an unfair advantage). :wink:

I would not even think of taking a lobster in Maine. Just as I never assume a lobster boat captain will acknowledge or practice boating right of way rules. Ha ha ha! (For those who own boats in Mass you know what I mean).

--Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom