Taking advanced OW, Can I get an adventure card too?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pretty sure our PADI manuals in 1990 were not free. Possibly included with class, but that’s not the same as free. IIRC doing the quiz things in the book and tearing them out to turn in was a thing around then, ensuring everybody had to buy a book somehow.
We had to tear them out to hand in in 2005 too. I handed in xeroxed copies so I could keep the originals in the book. She allowed that. Same with AOW (Adventures in Diving) book.

I did not pay for the MSD card in 1997. Period.
The manuals were FREE in the 90s. Period. Didn't you know that?
How PADI did it ? Do I care!
Have you got the answers?
someone paid for the MSD card. PADI manuals were never free.

It may have been free to you, but most likely the instructor who signed it had to pay for it.
It is not uncommon for an instructor who has given a number of specialty courses to a student to throw in the MSD card as a bonus.
I do not charge any students I issue the card to, and I'm not unusual.
The card has been around since at least the early 1990s, but (I can't check, I don't have any of my old PADI Price Lists) I'm pretty sure there was always a charge for it.

I first saw an advertisement for the PADI Master Scuba Diver (MSD) in an Australian dive magazine in either the late 1970s or the early 1980s. Its promotion often featured well-known Australian TV stars and media personalities who had received PADI training. I got a MSD card in 2004 and paid for it, although it is occasionally offered at no cost via a promotion called the "Master Scuba Diver Challenge". A PADI instructor acquaintance told me once that it is often paid for by the PADI dive store where the relevant training occurred.

I first saw an advertisement for the PADI Master Scuba Diver (MSD) in an Australian dive magazine in either the late 1970s or the early 1980s. Its promotion often featured well-known Australian TV stars and media personalities who had received PADI training. I got a MSD card in 2004 and paid for it, although it is occasionally offered at no cost via a promotion called the "Master Scuba Diver Challenge". A PADI instructor acquaintance told me once that it is often paid for by the PADI dive store where the relevant training occurred.
I had to pay for the card in 2007, but I got the free MSD tote bag!

someone paid for the MSD card. PADI manuals were never free.
Someone paid for the MSD card? No one bothered to inform me for that? Very strange in indeed.
Back in those days, in Malaysia Philippines and Thailand, it was NOT necessary to buy the books because the operator would lend them to the student.
I do not have any books from PADI after completing so many courses with them.

Someone paid for the MSD card? No one bothered to inform me for that? Very strange in indeed.
Back in those days, in Malaysia Philippines and Thailand, it was NOT necessary to buy the books because the operator would lend them to the student.
I do not have any books from PADI after completing so many courses with them.
I suppose those book lenders nowadays would be on the PADI "kicked out" list, you'd think?

You may not have paid for your manuals, but I certainly did. The manuals were not included in the cost of the class.

I believe it was an option then but no more since early 2000 or late 90s.

My students may tell you that they did not pay for the manuals, but they did. I tell them the price of the class, and I tell them that the price includes the manual. I buy the manual from PADI and give it to them as part of the cost of the class. I also include the cost of the certification card, which I have to pay for myself, too. Now, I could charge a little less for the class and charge for the manual and the certification card, which is how both dive shops I worked for did it. They treat them like any other product they sell. The pay PADI a dealer price and upcharge the student. Either way the student is going to pay for the manual and certification; the only difference is whether that is listed for the student.

When I buy a course manual or certification from PADI, they have no idea what I am doing with either. They don't know what I am charging my students for the class, and they don't know what I am charging the students for the manual. They are dealing with me, not the student. I can buy a big block of manuals, and I can buy a big block of certifications. It is not until the certification I bought from PADI previously gets sent in so the card can be delivered to the student that there is any connection between PADI and the student, but, again, in either case, all the money went through me.

When I did all those courses back in late 90s, all the operators provided the manuals FOC for the students to USE. They were NOT brand new but what differences would it made as long as all the relevant pages were still there?

Please do not use your own experience on something happened in other countries 25 yrs ago!

When I did all those courses back in late 90s, all the operators provided the manuals FOC for the students to USE. They were NOT brand new but what differences would it made as long as all the relevant pages were still there?
I was certified with such a process. I was given a battered, old manual to use for the course, and I had to give it back. That was a violation of agency rules, which is why after that holograms were included with the manuals sold in countries that had done that, and you had to send in the hologram with the certification information.

So what you are saying is that you were allowed to read the manual without them charging an extra fee for it. You did not get a manual for free. Even your use of the manual was not free. They paid for the manual originally and are spreading the cost of the manual over the many students who read them.

Violation of agency rules!!!
My own experiences from three different countries convinced me that it was a NORMAL process.
If you had dived in PNG then you will realize mail service is NOT that reliable outside the capital. So the operator have to turn away a customer!
25 yrs is a long time!

Back
Top Bottom