Taking a snorkeler on a liveaboard? Similans, Nov 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Email Wicked diving I have been told they cater for snorklers also.

We did check out Wicked Diving, and it sounds like that would have been a good fit too, but the timing of their trips is just not quite as good for us this time. (Plane tickets were booked months ago, before I discovered scuba diving, so now it's a matter of fitting in a dive trip with some of the other things we also want to do.)

One big thing is that I think I can get away with a trip of four nights maximum, since apparently Thailand has attractions outside the ocean.

Oktavia, in addition to sounding like a good fit as far as easy diving + snorkeling, has a four night trip that fits right into the beginning of our trip, which would give us maximum flexibility for the rest. During the same time period, Wicked has a three night trip, but it's to Richelieu Rock, which supposedly has more advanced diving (I'm happy to stick with easier for now), and snorkeling is not so good. They also have a five night trip to the Similans starting the same time, but a) I don't think my persuasion powers are that good, and b) even if I did, the extra night would throw us over budget.

Hi,

I would recommend you to contact Scuba Cat Diving on Phuket, they have one of their liveaboards which has lots of pace, very good if you travel with a snorkeler.

Thanks everybody -- we went ahead and booked on the Oktavia. They were great over email, and I am really looking forward to it.

Just wanted to report back that we had an amazing time on the Oktavia. The crew, the food, and the boat were all fantastic. The diving and snorkeling were both really nice, and I even got to see mantas, which I hadn't dared to hope for! Loved my first night dive ever -- I even found an octopus wandering around. Even on my least favorite dive (bad vis, some current), I had my own personal remora following me around for 20 minutes.

It's going to be tough to go back to the 7mm wetsuit and cold waters :wink:

It was great to have you both on the boat and I'm really glad you had a good time. Thanks for the nice feedback - I hope we'll see you again :)

Merry Christmas
Karin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom