• At 60 degrees F

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • At 45 degrees F

Votes: 47 14.9%
  • There is no limit yet.

Votes: 181 57.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

was 39*F. I was wearing a 3/2 full wetsuit. I had on gloves and a hood.

I know another guy JUST like you that can take the cold to extremes. You mind if I work with your daughter at the quarry with another girl THAT has the SAME "SAME" problem your's does. I think they will be fine.

When we cut a hole in 2 feet of ice attach a line and jump in we try not to look at our temp gauge
In Canada we 4 temps 1 Cold 2 Really cold 3 freezing and
4 HOLY S**T

:mean:

Cold??? What is that? I got certified in Nov. 89 in Virigina Beach, it was cold out off and on but I saw no need to skip it. I go every year here for a New Year's Day dive... cause there is no better way to start the Year. Granted the wife certified in 99 in the summer so she thinks you can only dive in the summer. Oh well, I am trying to get her into the cold water diving.

Rich :mean:

I would like to change my poll answer now. I think I chose 60 but this Sat I dove in 45f wearing just a 6.5 Farmers John, hood, and Gloves. That is my coldest to date. Oh yeah and it was snowing when we arrived at the dive site. 1000feet above sea level. I would say that outside temps were 35-39.

I dive wet in a two piece 6mil, and was comfortable for my entire dive at 41 degrees when I started a few weeks back. It was a toasty 47 in Gloucester this past weekend, and much nicer than being on land in Boston (where we freakishly got snow and hail).

I had a bit of a free flow problem on entry when my octopus froze open (look in and see the ice crystals), but after thawing it out it was fine.

Did my OW in 65F(surface) / 55F (@40') water on the warm day; on the colder day they didn't tell us what the actual temperature was... With 7mm farmer, jacket, gloves, hood (all rental, so you just know how well they fit) most of us were quite comfortable.

Unless/until I get rich, that's probably about as warm as it's ever likely to get. That was midsummer in Tobermory, and I don't see a drysuit or trip to warm-water anytime in the near future... Oh the joys of being a starving student.

Jamie

I didn't vote in the poll because I wasn't quite sure if it is referring to air or water temperature. If it is water temp, I know my limit, but it's not an option.

What stops me diving isn't the water temp, but actually the air temp. I've not had any problems with water temps above 40 degrees, and when we're down in the 41-44 degree range, I just require the air temp to be 65 or so, so I can warm up when I get out. The night dive I did a few weeks back hit my limit. Water temp was 39 and air was high 40's low 50's. That was just barely bearable for a 1/2 hour dive. My season ended last year not because of the 41 water, but because of the 41 degree air temp after the dive, when I couldn't just pop off my booties and warm my feet on the rocks.

I dive with a hood, gloves, booties, and a two-piece 7 mil suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom