• At 60 degrees F

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • At 45 degrees F

Votes: 47 14.9%
  • There is no limit yet.

Votes: 181 57.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

50 degrees in Lake Skaneateles, NY last September in a Henderson Hyperstretch 7/5 mil. I'm sure I'll be lowering this mark next weekend at Dutch Springs. :wacko:

Before that, the coldest dive I had done was 80 degrees in Florida. :wink:

I've been in 45 degree with a 7mm hood and gloves and was fine. I would imagine anything below that I would have to go dry..

I do get a kick out of seeing some divers at the local lakes diving dry in 60 deg water though....I don't know about the rest of you but I like getting wet... The cool water feel nice..

Updated info is 41 degree F water in a 7/5 mm wetsuit, hood and gloves. Bought a dry suit right after that...

:D

I have been in 36 degree water and been comfortable. As soon as it is covered with ice, turning into an overhead environment, I am done. That has more to do with overhead environment that temperature however.:)

I am one of those drysuit wimps. I still get water on my face and through my wetsuit gloves, but the suit is dry for me unless I am in the Caribbean. But keep in mind, I don't have a great deal of "padding." I have a pretty wiry build.

One of my normal dive buddies dives wet all the time in the same temps. He is fairly comfortable with it. He is a good fifty pounds larger than I am and doesn't tend to go deep where the wetsuit compresses.

I normally dive deep cold alpine lakes and surface temps of about 65 degrees is as good as it gets in August with 2-3 thermoclines ending in about 39 degree water at maybe 130-150 feet.

I dive in a trilaminate dry suit complete with dry gloves and a full face mask over the winter and switch to a 7mm semi-dry when the weather gets too warm to suit up comfortably in a drysuit. Being built more short and stocky than tall and skinny tends to make me a bit more cold tolerant and more likely to have a heat stroke when donning a dry suit at 90 degrees. In those cases the giant stride entry off the boat usually ends at about 60 feet under the thermocline.

I still go deep in the semi dry and end up in 39-45 degree water but it isn't really a factor as you are at depth for a relatively short time and most of the ascent and all of the deco is in warmer water near the surface. I find the water temp near the end of the dive to be more important in determining what is adequate thermal protection than the water temp early in the dive. Still, 5mm gloves and a 7/5mm cheater hood is standard equipment even in the summer months.

2 mil shorty. Ok, I admit, it's all I own for now (too busy spending money on sailboat widgets)

But as I stated in the What do you wear under your wetsuit thread, I've been in the water at 43°F. Not for all that long, mind you, after 10-15 minutes one's skin starts to feel a wee bit clammy. Which is why I voted for nothing below 45°F. I prefer being able to actually spend time in the water.

I didn't shiver at all until I came topside and dried out however.

When they pull me out of the water in a block of ice....

I guess with proper gear I could take any temp but in general I hate to be cold. I mean HATE IT. The only time I have considered aborting a dive early was due to a 50 degree thermocline that I hit. I thought I was going to lose it.:wacko:

Back
Top Bottom