• At 60 degrees F

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • At 45 degrees F

Votes: 47 14.9%
  • There is no limit yet.

Votes: 181 57.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fooks What gear were you wearing? how did your pumpkin turn out?

I dive in Minnesota. I'm not sure what my limit would be yet as this is my first year diving. I dove last week...a crappy dive I might add, and the water temp was 46 degrees F with an air temp in the 50's. I was wearing my Henderson 7 mil Farmer John wetsuit and wasn't the slightest bit cold. I think I would have to fit in somewhere along the lines of where large_diver is in that the colder air temperatures would probably be the big factor for me since I dive with a wetsuit. Taking off the suit in cold weather would be uncomfortable to say the least.

I did my open water cert dives years ago in December in Lake Superior. Outside temp was around 20F, water temp was 38F (10' vis), and there was a couple feet of snow on the ground. We had it good, the Spring students had much the same except the water temp was just above freezing. This happens year after year up here with brand new OW students. They're up for anything after being put through that.

Those weren't my coldest dives, but fairly memorable ones. Outside temp would probably have get well below zero for me to think twice, I guess. Then, there's wind chill too.

Mike

I might have to go the other way for a limit. What's too hot? I understand there's a few dives sites that are spring fed that get almost too warm. That would be nice.

and keep on diving.

Fortunately here in so Cal we have balmy water year round. :wink:

So when the water temp goes above 60 in the summer I wear my 3 mil. But by November it is getting cool so out comes the 7 mil.

One day I hope to get a drysuit so I can venture on to some wrecks and other deeper dives that call out to me.

I THOUGHT, when I started diving earlier this year, that I would cruise somewhere warm once or twice a year and get some dives in: Red Sea, Med, Maldives....

What really happened is that I can't stay out of the water, so I started diving locally. The water temp in Lake Constance is always 3 or 4C below 15 - 25 meters in any event (with all the inherent pleasures: valves and regs icing up and a frozen fanny), so basically my diving is limited by the air temp.

I dive in a 6.5mm semi-dry but that is cold even in summer at depths below 25m. I can dive in that from around April-May to October-November. The water isn't any colder in January, but it sure is cold when you get OUT of the water....

I AM considering a dry suit in order to extend the season somewhat, as vis is better in winter, but I am not quite sold on it yet......I like getting wet :D

Generally, when there's ice on the lake, diving slows down. I tried Ice Diving last winter, it was a bit of a trip; will go again this winter. The water temp was 39 and the air around 25. However, L. Superior in the summer can be 34 on some of the wrecks while the air temp is 80-90. So, is there truly a limit ?

DivingGal,
The wife and I don't like cold weather that's why we moved to Florida years ago. Down here we can dive the year round and still be comfortable. 30 degree water is just not our cup of tea. I'm not knocking it, it's just not for me. Say, I'm going to have to quit this thread before I catch a cold! :tease: Dive Safely.:tree:Bob

My coldest was a recovery dive in 26 degree water in a flowing river, on a 7 degree day with a 54 mph wind. I used a AGA full face mask, 7.5 mm titanium Harvey dry suit and was actually warmer than the surface support personel. Was it recreatonal, No it was not, but dives are made in extreme conditions daily. I do envy the Florida guy with the coldest dive being 72 degrees.

Puddle Jumper

PuddleJumper,

Notch that envy meter up a few degrees: my coldest dive to date is 74 deg F...Molokini off Maui in February...

Joewr...living proof that the CAD approach is a warm hearted one...

My coldest dive so far was in water of 33 degrees F last November. It was a part of my AOW training, navigation and something else. I was under water for 42 minutes. I found out there is a stage beyond being numb with cold....it's having no sensation in your extremities at all. And this was with a 6.5 mil Henderson wetsuit + a 5 mil Scubapro jacket.

However, a good tip for warming up after or between dives is to carry along a thermos or a jug of warm water. Pour that down the ole wetsuit and/or in the booties. It feels sooooo good!

I've dived since then a couple of times in water of 40 to 45 degrees. It's a little chilly, but tolerable. Savin' the $$$ for a drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom