Take a snorkel for the ride?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stiebs

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When I originally got certed, we were told that a snorkel was part of every SCUBA diver's safety equipment.

Coming from a spearfishing background, I've never had a second thought about carrying a snorkel. And it's even come in handy a number of times on shore dives, as I find it a lot easier riding the surf in with a snorkel over a regulator. And on those pier 15fsw dives, for the swim back after sucking the tank dry at the end of pier.

More recently (especially on boat dives) I've noticed an increasing number of divers who wouldn't ever consider taking a snorkel along for the ride.

I can see that for some types of diving a snorkel would not add any value, but do you consider it worthwhile for say, an ocean dive where there is a (hopefully remote) risk that you could be left floating in potentially rough seas waiting for a rescue?

I suppose you could attach one or put one in the pocket of your BC (something like that anyway). That way it's there 'just in case' but not dangling all over during your dive. Mine just seems to get twisted and turned around anyway, I find it more annoying than useful and therefore it stays in my gear bag... on shore.

I keep one in the gear bag, but don't like using one. It kept getting in the way and just generally was very annoying. Not to mention completely useless in anything but the calmest seas. It took more effort to breath through the snorkel, and it kept flooding. It's even less useful to me since I do my surface swims on my back usually. On the rare occasion when the visibility is good enough to see anything on the bottom from the surface I'll stick the reg in my mouth and breath off the tank. The small amount of air used in such an instance to me is well worth the aggravation of dealing with the snorkel.

I would imagine, however, that in warmer and clearer waters a snorkel might get more use. You may consider getting a folding snorkel and stow it in your BC pocket when not in use.

-Roman.

for snorkeling...when diving, it's in my gear bag.

I can't tell you how much I enjoy it being there instead of dangling from the side of my mask.

I don't even own a snorkel but you can get kind that fold up so you can put them in your bc. I'm considering buying one but I have no idea if they're any good or not. Maybe someone on the board has one.

I agree with Cyklon - Snorkel for Snorkeling...Not Diving.

Some try to argue that a snorkel is a piece of safety equiptment in case you run out of air on the surface. My solution is just to not run out of air in the first place.

Plus, the snorkel is an entalglement hazard and creates a lot of drag. When I see people try to take their BC off underwater, the snorkel usually gets caught on something. I have also seen divers who use an AirII grab the snorkel instead...not good.

When diving, snorkels:
  • Cause masks to leak.
  • Cause masks to get pulled/knocked off heads.
  • Work only in a face down position in calm water.
  • Get in the way of inflator hoses.
  • Look dorkey.:wink:
Can't beat them when free diving, however. Keep one in your dive bag, just in case.

Steven

well i guess i am sure in the minority, but i keep mine with me right on my mask, and i seem to be able to use it about every dive. this is in the Puget Sound area. i just switched to the new 2002 oceanmaster dry flex. would never go back, looks like someone fianally got it right, after 20years of diving, i am glad someone did. before this, i still used mine, but had to be much more carful in my use and breathing pattern(puff hard, inhale, puff hard, inhale, etc...) i like being at the surface waiting for others to be ready or the first ones starting there decent, and leaving my head in the water looking down on them while they get to the midpoint, then when i know all is ok, i come down with them. there are many other times when, while it is not a must have, and i could do something else, it has been nice to have and not have to do a work around, or waist air...but as allways, that is me. Drag!!! with all the other crap i have to carry up here, it is not enough to even matter for me. :bonk: :bonk: ....ok ok i'm awake, quit hitting me.....

I bring a snorkel when there is a chance I will want to snorkel. They are good for snorkeling. The fold up snorkels I've tried are junk.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom