Tahiti

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

go_n_deep

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Saving for a dive trip to Tahiti. I've never been there and I want so badly to go. Anyone with experiences please share! Which islands and dive sites are the best? What should I know before I go?

I did a week of dives on Bora Bora, both inside the reef and outside. Wide differences in the coral and sea life between dives. Many sharks, very clear water, except for the manta ray dive when you have to dive in plankton.

Very, very expensive! You can do two trips to Fiji for the expense of Tahiti.

Saving for a dive trip to Tahiti. I've never been there and I want so badly to go. Anyone with experiences please share! Which islands and dive sites are the best? What should I know before I go?

Save a lot - 2 tank dives are in the neighborhood of $150-$170.

I dove with Blue Nui in Bora Bora and thought they did a great job. Top Dive also gets many recommendations but they didn't treat me as well as Blue Nui did.

On the main island, I stayed at Le Meridien, beautiful property.

We did a two week cruise through the South Pacific two years ago. The scenery is spectacular, and we had fantastic weather. We spent three days on Tahiti itself, staying in a lovely private home right on the water, and I had a lot of fun snorkeling in the lagoon.

But honestly, I would not go back to that part of the world for the diving, unless it were to Rangiroa or Fakarava. The water was warm and clear, but the corals in most places were in pretty bad shape, and unless the guide carried bait, there was a paucity of life. Most operators run shark-feeding dives, because that's how guests get to see sharks and a fair number of reef fish, but sitting on the bottom and watching sharks circle the guide is not at least my idea of an exciting dive. And the area is remote (hard to get to) and expensive.

I think you'd have more fun, if your desire is diving, to go to Indonesia or Australia.

I just came back from a divetrip to Tahiti a few days ago. The best diving I ever had. WE dived in Moorea, Rangiroa and Fukuawa.

Who did you dive with and where did you stay..thinking of going at end of March 2011

Bora Bora, Tahaa/Raiatea offer pretty "decent" dive sites. But the "Tuamotus" islands are complete different dimensions.

Ranguiroa is very famous and their main pass is spectacular.
we used the 6 passengesr club and liked the DM with a huge compass tatoo on his back.

Tikeau is less known but also has a few decent sites

Fakarava is my favorite. As long as you use this club:
club
and not the other morons.

here is a quick video. You have thousands of them (to dream before going)
YouTube - noel 2009 2010
(the manta are from inside lagoon of Bora Bora)

As mentioned above. It's expensive, especially with the current $ value.
Not only the diving, but also the hotel, or "pensions", the food, the flights (get a pass if you plan to visit multiple islands).
Note: it's not easy to get this air Tahiti island pass, and I'm not sure some US travel agency can do it.

It's a great high-end vacations place and really, the diving is super cool !!

Probably same i said there:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/pa...ing-short-trip-report-dive-club-comments.html

The only op we used during our time in Bora Bora was Top Dive TOPDIVE-Bathys - The best of diving in Tahiti & her islands.

They were less than a 5 minute boat ride from our resort, Bora Bora Lagoon Resort and Spa Bora Bora Lagoon Resort & Spa, Bora Bora Resort, Bora Bora French Polynesia, Hotel Bora Bora . Great operation and would recommend them and the resort. Lots of rays and sharks on all the dives.

Double check the current baggage weight allowances for inter-island flights because the maximum weight allowance was less than the international allowances when I was there in 2007. International travelers ended up paying for excess baggage weight when checking in for their inter-island flights.

We dove Tahiti 5 years ago and dove off of the Paul Gauguin cruise ship. We dove Bora Bora and Moorea. The viz was fantastic ! The Gauguin was a great way to go because it was all inclusive for food and drinks etc. BUT... 6 years ago each dive was $75! Yikes! Tahiti is very beautiful and we had a great experience there both under the water and topside! Check out the Gauguin for deals!

i highly recommend the tuamotu atolls of rangiroa and manihi. only one hour or so by plane from papette tahiti.
six passengers is a great dive company on rangiroa. we were there in november and the diving was spectacular (i just returned from the galapagos & would put rangiroa in the same league). tons of sharks, including enormous great hammerheads, dolphins etc.etc. and super fast drift dives.
manihi was great for sharks and lots of manta rays in the lagoon.

Back
Top Bottom