Tahiti-Rangiroa-Fakarava Trip report 12-25-06 to 1-06-07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Travelnsj

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Wow…where do I begin…First off the waters were a chilly 83 to 85 degrees. Rangiroa and Fakarava are Atolls which are big oblong-ring shaped islands that have passes where the currents pass through when the tides change. The currents can be up to 10 knots or more. I had dives that I went more than two miles in just a few minutes. It was a world class express train. I dove with Top Dive in both locations, very good operation. Although the correct way to dive there would be a liveaboard….unfortunately the Aggressor pulled out of the Tuamotu’s and moved south in Tahiti….to more mild diving.

Rangiroa-Top Dive filled the tanks with a great mixture of 36% Nitrox…diving is done from Zodiacs as you are 5-10 minutes from the dive sites. I found out why the nice Nitrox mix….this is deep current diving you can do 3 times a day! I did the famous Tiputa pass where you ride with the Great Hammerheads, Squadrons of Eagle Rays etc. Well unfortunately they were not always swimming thru when I did!! Before you enter the pass you are swimming in the blue you look down upon a generally white sandy bottom…..you see nothing except schools of Sharks, Eagle rays, Barracudas of every size etc..etc.….the only problem you are 100 feet they are about 150 feet or more! I did about 10 dives in the pass. The Tiputa pass can become a bit redundant if nothing is flying through. On a few of the dives Pascal (instructor) would take a few of the more advanced divers and we would enter the pass at about 95 feet there would be little valleys we would duck into to get away from the current and see Grey Sharks, Trigger fish etc fly by. On one dive at the beginning I am about 60 feet going down looking for my buddies….I found 4 of them…They were Dolphins in my face…I mean within an arms reach! They swam all around us for about 5 minutes…WOW. The other dive location was the Avatoru Pass. This was not as deep of a dive about 70 feet…..Here is where a school of Silver Tips hangs out…..one of them had to be about a 9 foot-fat shark…I had to duck to avoid hitting his belly. I did catch a glimpse of a Great Hammerhead about 30 feet away…looked as big as a WhaleShark. This is World Class Diving!

Fakarava- No Nitrox here and went into Deco a couple of times, you generally only do 2 dives a day. They said this is one of the best spots in the world to Dive...It is. I dove only the Northern pass. The Southern pass is reported to be better but I was the only person on the dive boat and the South pass is about 2 hours away and you need at least 4 divers. This has to be the Hard Coral capitol of the world. Grey reef Sharks, Wrasses, small and large Tropical fish everywhere….It is one of the biggest aquariums I have ever been in. On one dive the current had to be about at least 5 knots we clawed our way up and down a ridge…..when I looked out and up there must have been something like 75 baby Grey Reef Sharks swimming in the current. One dive that had to be my favorite dive I have ever done called the Passe Nord Garuae. We started out swimming against a strong current up to a ridge looked out and there must have been 50 sharks in the current. We than swam down to a valley that was about 60 feet deep by at least 100 to 150 yards long. The bottom was a mixture of white sand with what I call popcorn coral….small beige, light purple and blue colors were at the bottom. There were schools after schools of Trevally’s, Solderfish, Goby’s, Moorish Idols, Seapearch etc etc…all Motionless…..parting the way as we swam thru them. You would look above….patrolling Grey sharks and at least 5 big Napoleon Wrasses floating amongst the schools of fish…..Never seen anything like this dive!

Overall this was some of the best diving I have ever Done! I have a new rating system by category. For Action number 1 is the Tuamotu’s in Tahiti. For small and weird creature’s number 1 is East Timor. For overall and diversity number 1 is Palau.

I was very glad to see your post...I am taking my first dive trip to the south pacific in Feb., one week on Fakarava and the second week on Moorea. Where did you stay on Fakarava? Why did you end up going into decomp? Did it rain much while you were out on the atolls? Did most of your meals on Fakarava involve fish-just wondering, because I really hate fish and am planning on bringing at least a big jar of peanut butter. Rain? Bugs?

jfcl01.....You do not say what you dive experience is.....Fakarava is pretty much advanced diving.....pretty strong currents.....but great diving!

I stayed at the pension Paparara....DO NOT STAY THERE!....try the Havaiki or the Tokerau are nicer pensions. Get the meal plan....Tahiti is expensive!

I went into Deco a couple of times because it is deep diving, doing more than 2 dives in a day with a Suunto!

You are going during the Hottest time of the year and it is the rainy season but the Tuamotu's are drier than other parts of Tahiti.....mostly likely you may hit a major shower or two......learn to eat fish...LOL....you are at the ocean!....take you bug spray.

Have you picked you dive op yet?....anything else?

I have 200 logged dives... The strongest currents I have dived are the swifter ones on Cozumel...palancar I think is the swiftest one there.
I am staying at Tokerau pension, diving with TopDive... Did you dive with them? Any comments on dive ops there? They came highly reccomended by a few acquaintances....but I must admit, if I had known they are into shark feeding on their Moorea dives, I probably wouldnt have booked with them

Well...if you have dove Cozumel.....plan on turning around and swimming against those currents at times....and you will hit some currents up to 10 knots or more....and a few dives will be calm.....you are in for some of the finest diving there is.

Yes I dove with Top Dive....It is a new shop and a great dive boat....hopefully Mathias will have enough people to take you down south.

Tokerau is nice and walking distance to Top Dive....wish Top Dive put me there.....Make sure they do not switch Pensions on you like they did me. I'm working with Lucien on some type of credit.....you will either have to bring snacks with you for lunch or have it at the Tokerau as the Hotel (where Top Dive is located) wanted $45.00 one day for a snack....LOL...I need to lose weight anyway...LOL....

Oh and be careful...Air Tahiti...is strict on weight.

Dives started at 90' to 100'......but unlike a lot of diving you do overall dive averages somewhere in the 40' range when you start at those depths....these must of averaged somewhere in the 60's...have not had time to review my logs yet.....you are going to Love it!....they are putting in Nitrox in the next couple of months so if you are certified.....that's the way to go.

Did Top Dive limit PADI AOW divers to 100 ft? I heard that pretty much all the shops do ... sure would be nice to get down where all the sharks are.

In Rangiroa....we had 2 groups....one went to about 60'....the advanced went to around 90'...and usually ended at about 100'....Fakarava...I was just about the only one diving and we usually went to 90'-100'.....most of those dives you had to be that deep to get out of the current.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom