Tahiti-Rangiroa-Fakarava Trip report 12-25-06 to 1-06-07

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What did you do in the evenings? Are there people on the beaches at night, or does everyone pretty much go inside when it gets dark? Is there anything to see in the main village-I am thinking about what to do besides snorkel the day before I fly from Fakarava to Moorea. Did they ask to see your dive log, and how far back did they want to see...I would rather not drag more than the most recent log around with me for 2 weeks

Mathias....did not want to see my logs....but I had just come from Rangiroa...I would bring just your latest along with you C card.

Never made it to the main village....you are a ways from it....maybe 6 or 7 miles....but not much there.....dinners are around 7 and depending on the amount of guests you will sit around and talk....This is the slow and hot time of the year.....just not a lot to do.

when you were going through the passes thick with sharks, did you come close to being bitten? Don't the sharks find it upsetting when you shoot past?

LOL....no never have come close to a Shark charging me....we are too big and in Palau and Tahiti....they have too much smaller stuff to have a bite of....

are the currents really strong enough to rip my mask off?
Is it safe to drink the water(I guess it's probably all bottled, huh?)
shortie vs. dive skin?

also...any suggestions on small gifts for the dive crew?

It can rip your mask off if you were to turn into one of those currents....but you are generally swimming with the currents....the only place I started to lose my mask was one day during a hook up the Blue Corner in Palau.....I turned my head to see a Wrasse.....In Rangiroa or Fakarava.....those currents....would straighten the hook out:D ...LOL

The water is safe to brush your teeth in.....drink bottled water.....I wore a 2mm shortie....some people wore a t-shirt.....waters are generally 83 to 86 degrees...coolest water I hit was 82....very nice:14: !

Always tip your DM and Boat Captain...unless you get lousy service...Mathais is great and the Boat Captain.....saved my butt a few times when I came up in a ripping current!

Mike Veitch:
i was always complaining that they woulnd't get close enough!

Mike in Rangiroa.....I had to duck when one of the big Silvertips swooped down on me.....all I got was a blurry pic of its belly.....At least his mouth was not open:11:

Back
Top Bottom