Question TACO EFFECT? Will this help on my giant wing?I am not using the wing to lift heavy objects

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calabash digger

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Ok the cons are the Taco effect but I can live with it because it gives me the lift I have been wanting...Do you think this will help any with the Taco effect?

you need to be using lift bags for that, it is exceedingly dangerous to use a wing for that much lift. If you are attached to the ballast and the wing fails you will plummet, if you are not attached to the ballast and you drop it then you skyrocket and embolize. Pick your poison but there is a reason 50lb lift bags exist.

There is nothing you can do to control the taco effect with a doubles wing used for single tanks. If the bungees are stronger than the lift created by the gas in the wing to limit taco then you are restricting lift, and if they are not strong enough to restrict lift then they are not strong enough to prevent wrapping.

I am using the over sized wing to get back up with a bag of drink bottles...Not lifting a boat ..etc..I have been pushing the limit of the 60 lb wing with a bag of bottles and enough weight to hold me in place in current. The 60 lb has worked but the 94 lb does it with ease...If I want to lift something heavy of course I would use a Lift Bag ...

I am using the over sized wing to get back up with a bag of drink bottles...Not lifting a boat ..etc..I have been pushing the limit of the 60 lb wing with a bag of bottles and enough weight to hold me in place in current. The 60 lb has worked but the 94 lb does it with ease...If I want to lift something heavy of course I would use a Lift Bag ...

i know someone that got badly bent after dropping some stuff they were carrying up off the bottom and then skyrocketing to the surface. use a lift bag

My dives are in less than 40 ft of water...That is my cutoff in the dark water..Actually I have never been below 37 in the Dark water ...

As usual the advice is more dramatic than necessary, but in this case, I have to agree that the risk/benefit realities is that you should get yourself a lift bag. I have used one from dive gear express and it was like 75 lbs and maybe 40 bucks. It is cheap
Thin material and should handle a bag of bottles with zero
Issues. You have a catch bag blow out and you could embolism.
It is not big or bulky.

As usual the advice is more dramatic than necessary, but in this case, I have to agree that the risk/benefit realities is that you should get yourself a lift bag. I have used one from dive gear express and it was like 75 lbs and maybe 40 bucks. It is cheap
Thin material and should handle a bag of bottles with zero
Issues. You have a catch bag blow out and you could embolism.
It is not big or bulky.

actually it's not

Ok Thanks I can see the consensus says USE a lift bag for a wreck bag of bottles....

or even a nice big DSMB like a carter super float

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom