Table Rock Lake Open Water Certification

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IslandGirl-PT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Has anybody gotten their certification at Table Rock? What's it like? Silly question, I know. I'm getting pretty excited and nervous too...the low visibility is probably my biggest fear. My husband & I are getting our certification this coming weekend and we're hoping this warm weather will hold out for us. I know that water is going to be cold though!

Not gonna lie, vis isn't great, although it's been pretty dry and the vis is better in Table Rock than it has been for a while. The weather forecast looks great. Did a night dive last Friday in Table Rock, and vis is probably 5-10 feet at around 20 feet deep where you will probably be doing your skills. It will turn into a snow globe, though, if you have a big class, from the silt. It won't get too cold unless you get past 30' or so. Just do the skills like you learned them in the pool, your buddy and instructor will be there with you. Take your time clearing your ears, go slow, try to just focus on what you need to do. I got certified in Table Rock a bit over 2 years ago and it has led to some of the most wonderful experiences of my life! A whole new world awaits, relax, have fun, and good luck! Hope it goes well for you.

Water temps were about 71 degrees at the surface last weekend, so it's not that bad.
I am guessing you will be diving the dam, that is where the best vis is right now.
Have fun & let us know how it goes.

For what it's worth, I went with my girlfriend when she did her OW earlier this summer at Beaver Lake and visibility was about 4 feet. It's a little bit scary at first, but you'll be fine. She was deathly afraid, but was completely hooked by the end of the weekend.

I'm headed down to Table Rock to fun dive with some friends this weekend. Maybe I'll see you down there. What KC shop are you going with?

IslandGirl...hope your OW dives are going well! We've been diving Dewey Short (the dam site) and visibility is 15-20 feet starting at 49' feet all the way down to 110', where it murks up again. Everything above the thermocline (which is at 49') is unfortunately pretty murky at about 5 of visibility, so you're probably in the middle of all that. We were the only divers at the dam yesterday, but we're heading to Jake's Point today so there's a chance we'll see your OW class.

Boardndave have you been to the kim city bridge? as I understand it this is a kool deep dive.

I've have done that site before and didn't really like it. Sure, it's deep, but there isn't a whole lot to see down there. I'd much rather spend my time at the dam or locations not easily accessible from shore that aren't visited as often. Also, stay away from the Zebulon Pike. That boat is in really bad shape and there's tons of crap hanging off it and around it. I know a few people have died while diving it.

Hey guys! I'm back from Table Rock...I SO appreciate the feedback I got here! Unfortunately, I only got email notification of the one from Basscat earlier and then this latest one from Boardndave but either way...all of the feedback is awesome. I have to say the weekend (for me) did not go as planned. My husband is now an open water certified diver and we have his paperwork to send in. Me, on the other hand will be making the drive once again in 2 weeks to get this...do my last 20 min leisure dive. Here's a quick synopsis:

I had a cold about 2 weeks ago. After about a week, it seemed to have cleared up for the most part other than a little sinus drainage that was no trouble at all. I took Thursday off work just to chill out, push fluids and vitamin C and rest (I felt just fine, just had a good excuse to take an extra day off). Anyway, we got to our room Friday evening, had a nice dinner, soaked in the Jacuzzi/hot tub for about 30 min. and went back to our room. Weather could not have been better...upper 80's Friday through Sunday. We could actually sit on the bank (Saturday was at Spider Beach, Sunday at Dewey Short) and not be either hot or cold! There was shade in the afternoon when it did warm up but the sun was nice in the morning. Water temperature was 68 degrees.

Dive 1: Our first dive went great...got most of the "hard" stuff out of the way right off the bat which I was thankful for. I had trouble in class in the pool with mask removal as I'm a natural nose breather so even with practice, and mastering it in the pool, I was still terrified to do it in deeper, murky water...why? No idea. I attributed my trouble breathing to just being over excited, semi-fearful, 3' visibility (even though they said it was 5', there was no way.)I found it strange that I was having a bit of a problem catching my breath once we were on top of the water...even just floating...rapid breathing as if I had been power walking or taken an easy jog. I also commented to my husband what a bad headache I had underwater.

Dive 2: Easier skills, not as frightening & I tried really hard to calm myself and consciously take things slower and not feel pressure to hurry through the skills. After the second dive though, I was having more trouble catching my breath at the surface and starting to cough a lot. I knew it wasn't a good sign & I wondered what I could possibly be doing wrong or psyching myself out about and my wheels were turning a mile a minute trying to figure it all out. I'm not one to walk away from a challenge and I knew I only had one more dive to do that day.

Between dive 2 & 3 we were to go to the marina and get our tanks filled. The shore where we dove from was down a steep hill, fresh gravel and some sand...hiking up that hill with our tanks just about did me in...I had to stop several times to rest, cough, try to catch my breath.

Dive 3: Suiting back up to dive was a challenge and I knew I had something going on...but I wanted to just get through this one and I knew I'd be able to chill out the rest of the night. I knew I could do this. We had 3 skills to do. I got through the first two somehow but I was really feeling like I needed to call it quits and suck it up. The last skill was CESA. Our instructions were to do the skill and once at surface we were to manually inflate our BC's. By the time I hit the surface, my lungs were done. I had NO lung capacity left. There was NO way, I was going to be able to inflate, the harder I tried, the worse I felt. I was about 5' from the flag and didn't have the sense to fill my BC with air from my tank, so I tried to tread water, got a mouth full of water and a cramp in my left calf simultaneously. At this point it dawned on me that I needed to use my tank air to float...did that...worked out the cramp while practically hyperventilating my way to the flag where our instructor was patiently waiting for me. I admitted defeat and he and I went back to shore. My husband finished the dive with the Divemaster and we called it a night.

(Warning: Graphic...) That night, I took the longest, hottest shower I could stand and inhaled the steam as deeply as I could, coughing with every inhalation. After about 20 minutes of this, I started coughing up stuff. Everyone knows when a cough becomes productive, you want to get that stuff out of your lungs...so, spitting the stuff out with every cough...I'm seeing not clear but icky colored stuff...then it turns pink...then red. After 30 minutes of coughing up bloody mucus, I decided I'd sit out dive 4 tomorrow and get to the doctor as soon as we got home.

Sunday, Dive 4: We arrived at the dive site & talked to our Divemaster and Instructor...luckily, my husband and another couple were there a little early and were ready to go so he was able to get in and get his dive finished first. Once all the paperwork formalities were done and goodbyes said, we headed back to Kansas City.

Are all dive sites downhill, rocky & treacherous?!

We picked up our dog from where she had been staying and by the time we got home, unpacked the car and went back out again, the Urgent Care center had closed literally as we pulled in. You've seen the scene before...you pull up...the girl is turning the key in the lock...waving at you, "sorry, we're closed." We got back in the car, looked at the clock and it was 3 minutes before closing time...OOHhhh...that burned me. Anyway, making a really long story out of this...I saw my doctor today and have what he called "Asthmatic Bronchitis." A round of Levaquin (antibiotic) & Prednisone and he thinks I should be feeling much better by Thursday (today is Monday), if not, let him know and we'll look at the possibility of Pneumonia but right now, this is my story.

@Boardndave, We are working with The Dive Shop in Merriam, KS.

P.S. They're doing another check-out dive in two weeks so we'll be making the trip back down...this time to Beaver Lake. All I need to do is the last dive and CESA.

Sorry you had troubles, and hope you get better quick! Nice thing about Beaver, the shore isn't nearly as steep at the site you will probably be diving. Vis is usually much better, but has been poor all year because of the spring floods. Haven't been there since early summer, but the latest report from the dive shop (Sept. 22) says 8-10 feet vis. Hope it goes well for you!

I've have done that site before and didn't really like it. Sure, it's deep, but there isn't a whole lot to see down there. I'd much rather spend my time at the dam or locations not easily accessible from shore that aren't visited as often. Also, stay away from the Zebulon Pike. That boat is in really bad shape and there's tons of crap hanging off it and around it. I know a few people have died while diving it.

IslandGirl-PT - congrats on what you did get accomplished and huge thumbs up for knowing when to call the dive.

Not trying to hack the thread or anything, but I've never heard of anybody dying on the Zeb dive. When did this happen? I've dove the Zeb and yes, it is in bad shape. I'm doing research for a book on the Zeb and inquiring minds want to know about these tragic events.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom