Table Rock conditions flash!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

theskull:
Where are you diving at Moonshine Beach? I have driven over there since it reopened and didn't see any accessible shore entry spots, other than climbing down the big hill to the West of the swim beach where all the jet-skis and drunken boaters were beaching their watercrafts.

theskull

We entered right at the swim beach next to the peninsula. We followed the peninsula out under the yellow swim area line and then up parallel to the beach. The water drops off quickly past this point with lots of large rocks. Seems to be a good place to find stuff that swimmers drop. We found a class ring and some sunglasses

Doggone perch are like pirhanas when they see something interesting! I just love giving them the magic "finger" dance. I take off a glove and extend my fingers nice and wide, then wiggle them (carefully) while moving my hand from side to side. They just get zombified and follow my fingers.

Those pics turned out nice. Hope the vis is that good the 16th.

As for theskull's q about moonshine beach:

1. when you enter through the "shack", there will be a boat ramp to the left (first left heading to the beach). If you turn there, you can enter by the boat ramp and surface swim around the bouy line for a dive along the spillway wall on the North side. If not, you can brave the rocks if you like...I'm liking the boat ramp from now on. The spillway is a NO BOAT area, so you'll be good to dive there without the threat of getting hit.

2. Go down to the beach/swim area to the right. If you have a dive buddy, this will work well. The lower level is handicap parking only. You may use it to unload (good dive buddy), but you'll have to park on the upper level. From the lower level, simply gear up and walk down the steps to the sand and into the swim area. From the upper level, to the far north of the parking area there is a walk-way ramp you can go down. Keep in mind that you'll have to lug your gear down and back up again.

3. If you don't like those options, you can unload by the boat slip and lug your gear a few yards toward the south side of the peninsual by the swim area along the shore..there is a path there. Then you can enter on the south side and dive around the peninsula and come up in the swim area.

Scubagal:
Nice pics! What kind of camera/housing do you have?

The camera is a Canon A620 and the housing is a Canon WP-DC90. No flash was used on those pics. The internal flash does work but you've got to be within a few feet for it to do anything other than just light up the silt floating in the water.

How about your pics, care to show a few?

diverdown247:
Doggone perch are like pirhanas when they see something interesting! I just love giving them the magic "finger" dance. I take off a glove and extend my fingers nice and wide, then wiggle them (carefully) while moving my hand from side to side. They just get zombified and follow my fingers.

I did something similar, even took a picture of it. In fact I took 165 different pictures playing with settings and all. Out of that I like maybe 37. It's digital so no wasted film on the bad ones. Here's the wiggling target I used.
Scuba%20Table%20Rock%20090.jpg

cummings66:
The camera is a Canon A620 and the housing is a Canon WP-DC90. No flash was used on those pics. The internal flash does work but you've got to be within a few feet for it to do anything other than just light up the silt floating in the water.

How about your pics, care to show a few?

I'll try and post a few pictures tonight.

Thanks, Steve & diverdown,

I'll make some dives over there this Fall and check it out. Always up for another shore dive site!

theskull

SteveC:
Hey skull,

I was in the dive shop today and Tony mentioned that you recently dove the Doria. Did you get any pictures?

Steve

Duuh!

Will PM the link to you. I'm doing a presentation on the trip at the Gateway Hammerheads meeting Wednesday night if you'd like to hear all about it.

theskull

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom