Table Rock conditions flash!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdown247

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey everyone, I dove Table Rock lake yesterday and they have let water out of the lake. I was told by State Park Marina that it was only a foot or two, but it seems to be closer to about 5-7 feet, especially by the dam.

This has drastically increased the algae nearly overnight and has impacted the visibility dramatically. The vis at 10 ft was roughly 5-7ft. At 25 it opened up to 10ft, but was very murky. There was so much algae on the rocks that it looked like someone with a bad cold snotted all over the everything.

Bummer! :frown2: We were planning a trip there in a couple of weeks. If that's the visibility we can expect, we may as well dive locally.

Vis might clear up by then, I'll keep everyone posted. There's always Beaver Lake or Bull Shoals close by too!!

diverdown247:
Hey everyone, I dove Table Rock lake yesterday and they have let water out of the lake. I was told by State Park Marina that it was only a foot or two, but it seems to be closer to about 5-7 feet, especially by the dam.

This has drastically increased the algae nearly overnight and has impacted the visibility dramatically. The vis at 10 ft was roughly 5-7ft. At 25 it opened up to 10ft, but was very murky. There was so much algae on the rocks that it looked like someone with a bad cold snotted all over the everything.

I believe the lake level tends to drop uniformly; that whole "seeking its own level" thing. And the algae bloom should have more to do with the high temps in the shallow water than the current water level.

I'll bet the viz was a whole lot better below the themocline, say past 40 feet or so?

Still, we can hope that it will improve in the next couple weeks--some cool nights to drop the surface temp along with some rain could help. But just in case, bring your hood and dive light; it's nearly always good below the thermocline!

theskull

Any updates on the current conditions at Table Rock Lake? We're headed there next weekend. Thanks in advance!

No updates this week. We were on the wrong part of the lake (Kimberling City) this past few days. Should be on the other parts next week and have an update. I've been told that due to the lake level drop, the temperature changes at certain depths have caused an unusual algae bloom that would have been below the thermocline previously (wouldn't occur until that normal depth has adequate light which would not have occurred until a lake drop) and should clear up as daily temps begin to drop.

I will try to do a dive this 29 or 30 and let you know haw the vis and temps are. I have a itching to use my scooter and play some :D If I can afford it, the sixteen year old wrecked her car Saturday but she is alright but it looks like we get to pay the deductible.:confused:

Back
Top Bottom