T3 is the bomb!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

... Do you know of specific problems that effected the use of Ti and SS regulators in the dive industry or is this an "anticipated" problem not yet seen in practice…

No idea, I’m not in the regulator repair business. I think it is fair to say we don’t know if it has or has not been seen. I imagine that Atomic would replace a galled regulator (stage) being serviced by an authorized repair center and many customers might not even know. It’s not like they can sell the idea that the threads on a Stainless or Titanium regulator froze-up due to corrosion!

I have seen a considerable number of stainless fasteners, threaded parts on commercial diving helmets, and deep ROV housings gall. Galling isn’t an everyday occurrence, but far from rare. It seems to happen more on machined than rolled threads.

We had a ½-13 UNC bolt gall when installing the Lift to Freedom last year, naturally at the highest beam. It was just screwed on hand-tight and barely snugged-up with a wrench for a fit-check. Nobody bothered applying messy anti-galling compound. The nut galled to the bolt about halfway off. That might be the weirdest case I have seen.

If my ST1 first stage fails during service due to galling, I would expect AA to replace it as a warranty issue. Since it's really only a risk at that time, and I service mine only when they need it, I'm not overly concerned. Not to mention nobody's going to be assembling/disassembling SS first stage bodies at any RPM...

I don’t service my regulators, including an Atomic Z2, until they start to leak or the IP drifts. In that case, I doubt that Atomic would replace it, if they are still around by then. I got 27 years out of a very similar brass-body Oceanic balanced piston first stage before it needed to be serviced.

I have never seen galling that resulted from high RPM. All occurred with hand tools. I imagine galling is a bigger problem with powered wrenches, like on an assembly line, because you couldn’t feel the resistance building and apply lubricant or penetrant — which doesn’t always work. I have seen a $12,000 (1970) deep ocean TV camera that was trashed because we couldn’t unscrew the end-bell. It ended up as a decoration in the chief pilot’s office.

There must be a special corollary to Gumperson's Law for galling. It always occurs where cutting the galled part out will cause maximum collateral damage. I had a 3/8" bolt on a doubles band gall last year. Was it the top band where it was easy to reach in with a hacksaw blade? Of course not. I had to jury-rig a tool to reach in from the bottom and the whole evolution took a couple of hours and my hands were bleeding.

My old regs weigh about 3.5 pounds, the Atomic T3 is about 2. That's a significant difference in weight IMO.

I weighted my regs last night to see the difference between Ti and Brass. I have T2 yoke first stage, comparing to scubapro Mk25 (one of the bigger 1st stage). Here is the comparison
Set 1: T2 yoke 1st + 7ft long hose with bolt snap + B2 2nd + 22" LPI (I took off drysuit hose and spg)
Set 2: mk25 din + 7ft long hose with bolt snap + B2 2nd + 22" LPI (my right post for double rig)

The differences above should be the difference between mk25 and T2.
Set1: 2lb-5oz or 2.31lb or 1.05 kg
Set2: 2lb-12oz or 2.75lb or 1.2kg

The difference here is 0.44lb. Unless T3 is significantly lighter than T2. Brass vs Ti 1st stage is less than half a pound difference. Set1, at 2.3lb is not a diveable setup. You will still need another 2nd stage and at least a simple spg. After adding them, Set1 at is at 4.2lb. So T1 1st contribute to 10% of total regulator weight saving.

Don't get me wrong, I love my T2 and I think T3 is sweet, but for reason other than weight saving.

I don’t service my regulators, including an Atomic Z2, until they start to leak or the IP drifts. In that case, I doubt that Atomic would replace it, if they are still around by then. I got 27 years out of a very similar brass-body Oceanic balanced piston first stage before it needed to be serviced.

Hopefully I won't have to find out, but AA does claim its lifetime warranty is not contingent on proof of service...so I'd exepect them to cover galled SS or Ti threads in the first stage body regardless of time. If you're doing the service, though, I could see it being less likely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom