T3 is the bomb!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1. Galling:

I understand what "Galling" is but I am not sure of how it relates to scuba regulators since I never heard of it being a problem. Do you know of specific problems that effected the use of Ti and SS regulators in the dive industry or is this an "anticipated" problem not yet seen in practice?

2. Cost of machining Ti:
I understand the factors that make Ti regulators so very expensive but I thought there was another point in your statement other than why it is so expensive.

3. Use of Ti in tech diving:

OK, got it and I agree 100%.

Thank you for taking the time to explain!! :)

Why would the fact that the Ti regulator can't handle more than 40% O2 matter if it is used for main gas not the stage/deco bottles? Atomic has the M1 regulators that can be used with up to 80% O2 for the stage/deco bottles anyways. Tx3 for the back gas and M1 for the stage/deco bottles, what's wrong with this setup?

If I have a long O2 deco ahead of me and my deco reg fails, you can bet your arse I'm pulling my back gas reg and putting it on the O2 tank. I'd prefer that I'm not risking turning my deco rig into a Broco torch when I do that. Ideally, I'd have all ST1 first stage bodies with M1 monel components in them, with M1 cave ringed second stages with the T2x magnum levers in them, on all valves. But it's cheaper to just buy a nice CCR :wink:

Unfortunately, the most effective anti-galling compounds are not compatible with Oxygen or breathing systems. The finer and larger diameter the threads the worse it is… like the ones that hold the first stage together.

If my ST1 first stage fails during service due to galling, I would expect AA to replace it as a warranty issue. Since it's really only a risk at that time, and I service mine only when they need it, I'm not overly concerned. Not to mention nobody's going to be assembling/disassembling SS first stage bodies at any RPM. I'm more worried about forgetting a DIN SS first stage in a chromed brass DIN valve, which could potentially be a real mess.

If I have a long O2 deco ahead of me and my deco reg fails, you can bet your arse I'm pulling my back gas reg and putting it on the O2 tank. I'd prefer that I'm not risking turning my deco rig into a Broco torch when I do that. Ideally, I'd have all ST1 first stage bodies with M1 monel components in them, with M1 cave ringed second stages with the T2x magnum levers in them, on all valves. But it's cheaper to just buy a nice CCR :wink:

And how are you going to do that underwater from the back gas behind your back??

BTW, would you use the ST1 on higher than 40% O2 tank right out of the box or did you have to do something extra for it?

And how are you going to do that underwater from the back gas behind your back??

BTW, would you use the ST1 on higher than 40% O2 tank right out of the box or did you have to do something extra for it?

I'm going to reach back, shut the post from which I plan to poach the reg, depressurize it, and then unscrew it by touch. I didn't find it too hard to do, though was annoying unscrewing a DIN reg situated right behind my head. YMMV in terms of what you can reach on your doubles/single tanks. Depending on how long the deco was and the water temp, I'd even consider removing the rig to get at the working reg and then redonning mid-water. Not like it or I are going anywhere so long as we're both connected, though it wouldn't be pretty from a trim/buoyancy perspective.

As for using an ST1 with more than 40% O2 right out of the box...yeah, I would, but I'd feel better about it if I knew the piston was monel. The Ti valve tube in the second stage isn't my concern--not like I'm using O2 clean toothpaste or something.

Is it? Do you know for sure for the ST1?

No, it's not monel stock out of the box (my understanding is that it's SS for all AA 1st stages except the Ti regs and the M1, which are monel pistoned) - but ordering a jet seat monel piston (and monel swivle retainer if you're feeling picky) for the 1st stage is not a complicated thing. It's a bit pricey, however, and Atomic's failure to offer monel components as an option means you're wasting a perfectly good SS piston (and swivle retainer).

No, it's not monel stock out of the box (my understanding is that it's SS for all AA 1st stages except the Ti regs and the M1, which are monel pistoned) - but ordering a jet seat monel piston (and monel swivle retainer if you're feeling picky) for the 1st stage is not a complicated thing. It's a bit pricey, however, and Atomic's failure to offer monel components as an option means you're wasting a perfectly good SS piston (and swivle retainer).

I guess that they are thinking the M1 suffices for the O2 requirement.

It's a bit pricey, however, and Atomic's failure to offer monel components as an option means you're wasting a perfectly good SS piston (and swivle retainer).

I have found a good use for them - get a B1 with the original piston and use it to update it to the jet seat piston. I have done this with several regs where I have swapped them over to the monel piston.

All that a side I bet if one contacted AA and requested a special build ST1 with a monel piston they might well accommodate you. We did something similar with our Z2s which are basically B2 first stages and Z2 second stages.

Finally, sometime ago I had a long chat with the folks at AA regarding SS vs monel for O2. The monel hedges ones bets but a SS piston will work fine when properly O2 cleaned.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom