T3 "High Flow" Low Pressure Port and Hose Routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

freston4

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

My wife bought me a new Atomic T3 regulator. In brief testing this weekend it breathed very nicely. I love it.

My question is;

Is there a significant difference between having the second stage connected to the "High Flow" Low Pressure port on the top of the swivel cap versus just connecting it to one of the standard LP ports?

I used it and tested it in the original configuration with it connected to this "High flow" LP port as outlined in the equipment manual and it worked well. However, in that configuration it routes straight up off the 1st stage and appears to put a bit of a strain on the 2nd stage swivel. It also just doesn't look right in that config.

Has anyone experienced this and what have you found to be the best config?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks,

Randy

Hi,

My wife bought me a new Atomic T3 regulator. In brief testing this weekend it breathed very nicely. I love it.

My question is;

Is there a significant difference between having the second stage connected to the "High Flow" Low Pressure port on the top of the swivel cap versus just connecting it to one of the standard LP ports?

I used it and tested it in the original configuration with it connected to this "High flow" LP port as outlined in the equipment manual and it worked well. However, in that configuration it routes straight up off the 1st stage and appears to put a bit of a strain on the 2nd stage swivel. It also just doesn't look right in that config.

Has anyone experienced this and what have you found to be the best config?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks,

Randy
I run my primary T3 second stage and B2 octo on the side ports and love it - however,I have never tried the primary on the bottom, high flow port so can't provide a comparison. It does seem to me that the stock primary hose would be a little short to run it straight down from the bottom port and under my arm - so might stress the mouthpiece fit a little more?

It sounds like you have the reg upside down. The bottom lp port should be down. Rotate the reg a little and the hose will come under your right arm.

To answer your flow question, it makes no difference at all, that is a sales gimmick. While it may be true one port is capable of flowing more than another, it can only do so with a high capacity source and the port completely open...a tank valve limits the flow of a reg to less than any single port on any modern reg can flow to begin with but even then, the flow rate of the best second stages available at its maximum flow is considerably less than even a "low flow" port can supply....and way way more than a diver can inhale.
Think of it this way, a fire hose can flow a lot more than a garden hose at the same pressure but if you put the same nozzle on the end of both, the same amount of water will come out both of them and you can't drink the full flow from either one.

I have my swivel turret facing down for two reason: 1. to lessen the chance that the swivel would snag on anything when facing up and to be able to attached the primary second stage hose to the port at the top of the swivel turret. With the swivel facing down (at a slight angle if the tank valve is short), I can attached the ss hose to the lp port at the top of the swivel but this would only work and be comfortable if the primary SS hose is routed under the arm and it is a longer hose (40"), else the hose is connected to one of the ports on the side of the swivel.

My regulator configuration has the primary on a longer hose (40") and the octo on a 24" hose and attached to a necklace around my neck. If I have to donate air to an OOA diver, I'd hand my primary with the longer hose (hose must always remain under my arm for control) and I'll grap the octo into my mouth to breathe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom