T&Cs, Caymans, Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gianster

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey All,
I have been to all the above and keep on going to all the above because of the beaches for the non diving wife and the short flights from Ohio. Is it worth going to belize, ABCs, Honduras, Dominica, Saba, USVs? Is the diving better or should i keep on rotating to T&Cs, Caymans, Cozumel? Any thoughts +or- would be greatly appreciated.
Gianni Romanelli

Those are my three favorites too and for the same reasons. I would like to try Bonaire, Saba and Dominica but those trips will have to wait for the annual boys trip as I don't think they offer the amenities that the non-diving wife will require.

We now base all of our trips on the diving quality as the top priority then we try to look at travel hassles as well. Some of the first places we went to did not follow this rule.
You can check out my signature for links to some reports.
We have been to Belize (liveaboard on the atolls), Bonaire, the East of Grand Cayman, Little Cayman, Cozumel, Utila, and the Bahammas (liveaboard - this was bad diving before we used the rule). We have trips planned to Roatan this summer and Dominica in March.

Here is my take on this whatever it is worth and by the way I wish more divers would talk about destinations comparisons.

Both my wife and I were shock how good the diving was on Utila (Bay Islands). In our opinion, the only place we have been that could give Utila a run for the money with regard to the diving quality is Little Cayman. In fact, the only places my photographer wife will now consider are Little Cayman, the Bay Islands, and Bonaire as far as the places we have been already. My feeling is that somehow the Bay Islands have gotten a bad rap with regard to the diving quality. I think you just need to be careful where you go. For example, you dont need be diving on the West End of Roatan when you can diving on the south of Roatan at Cocoview or the northeast of Roatan at Paya Bay.

I really dont think the diving on Bonaire is that great but it is pretty good, and it is such a fun place to go. We have been three times, and we still want to go back. It is very easy for us to get to Bonaire where we live so Bonaire does not really violate the rule. Like I say, the diving is decent but it does not compare to Utila or Little Cayman.
I would say for us the diving quality in Bonaire is comparable to Cozumel, but the diving is so different, it is hard to say this. But we like Boniare overall better than Cozumel.

I talked to several people who have dived everywhere in the Caribbean, and many of these people will tell you that the best diving is on Saba and Dominica. The same people highly recommended Utila and Little Cayman as well. This is why we are going to Dominica in March, and we are going to go to Saba the following March. I really cant tell you anything first hand about the T&C (especially since you have been and I have not). The problem for me when considering T&C is our close proximity to Little Cayman, so it hard for me plan a trip to T&C when I can get to Little Cayman for about the same cost and travel hassle.

ddawson:
We now base all of our trips on the diving quality as the top priority then we try to look at travel hassles as well. Some of the first places we went to did not follow this rule.
You can check out my signature for links to some reports.
We have been to Belize (liveaboard on the atolls), Bonaire, the East of Grand Cayman, Little Cayman, Cozumel, Utila, and the Bahammas (liveaboard - this was bad diving before we used the rule). We have trips planned to Roatan this summer and Dominica in March.

We have not been to Utila but have been to Grand Cayman (east, north, west), Litttle Cayman, the Brac< Bonaire and Cozumel,the Bahamas (several islands), Aruba, USVI, and T&C.(provo)

Here is my take on this whatever it is worth and by the way I wish more divers would talk about destinations comparisons.

I agree we should talk about comparison but sometimes it is like a peach and an apple hard to compare. Im also a photographer and think that after you've been diving a number of places you start to notice the small and big differences between the islands.

Both my wife and I were shock how good the diving was on Utila (Bay Islands). In our opinion, the only place we have been that could give Utila a run for the money with regard to the diving quality is Little Cayman. In fact, the only places my photographer wife will now consider are Little Cayman, the Bay Islands, and Bonaire as far as the places we have been already. My feeling is that somehow the Bay Islands have gotten a bad rap with regard to the diving quality. I think you just need to be careful where you go. For example, you dont need be diving on the West End of Roatan when you can diving on the south of Roatan at Cocoview or the northeast of Roatan at Paya Bay.

I really dont think the diving on Bonaire is that great but it is pretty good, and it is such a fun place to go. We have been three times, and we still want to go back. It is very easy for us to get to Bonaire where we live so Bonaire does not really violate the rule. Like I say, the diving is decent but it does not compare to Utila or Little Cayman.
I would say for us the diving quality in Bonaire is comparable to Cozumel, but the diving is so different, it is hard to say this. But we like Boniare overall better than Cozumel.

I would agree that I like Bonaire better but would also state that some of the shallow dives that I have done in Coz. was about as good as it gets for fish life in the Carib.

I talked to several people who have dived everywhere in the Caribbean, and many of these people will tell you that the best diving is on Saba and Dominica. The same people highly recommended Utila and Little Cayman as well. This is why we are going to Dominica in March, and we are going to go to Saba the following March. I really cant tell you anything first hand about the T&C (especially since you have been and I have not). The problem for me when considering T&C is our close proximity to Little Cayman, so it hard for me plan a trip to T&C when I can get to Little Cayman for about the same cost and travel hassle.

I will tell you that T&C is very worth while (you must dive with Caicos Adventures out to the more remote sites which can be a boat ride - but worth it.) it compares to Little Cayman with a bit less colorful sponges but more pelagics.
I look forward to your report on Dominica as this island has peaked my curiosity as well. I would also encourage you to check out other Oceans, the Red Sea, the Indian, and the Pacific is full of great places to dive that will top Little Cayman and T & C.

Dive Safe,
Caymanaic :crafty:

Caymanaic,

I have family/job-related issues that complicate trips longer than 1 week now, so I am confined to this hemisphere for at least two years. We will definitely try to get to the Pacific after then. We have talked many times about doing T&C from a liveraboard to make sure we can get to those sites you are talking about. I am hoping we get to do this trip summer of 2006.

darren

It seems we almost need a forum for divers without diving partners. My husband doesn't even swim but he loves beaches and the warm tropical breezes, so he'll go nearly anywhere with me. We went to Saba not long ago. He enjoyed it as much as I did. We stayed at Orchid Cottage. Bequia is lovely though there aren't deep dives. The deepest were to 90 ft. Still, we both loved it. Bequia is a beautiful island in the Grenadines. The reefs are really healthy and there are tons of critters. It's the prettiest diving I've ever done. Dominica has good diving but there are no beaches. Well, that's not quite true. There is a hotel with a black sand beach but I know nothing about the diving near there. I don't remember the name of that hotel but it's probably on the net. Dominica is a beautiful island and is great for serious hiking. Several interesting tours are also available. Several places in Mexico are worth the trip but I think they favor the non-diver. The reefs just don't come close to those of Coz. However, there is decent diving if you stay away from Cancun and other particularly touristy areas. Most recently I set up a trip to Caracao. We're staying near Westpunt and I'm diving with All West. Not having a diving partner makes it advantageous to do lots of pre-planning that couples don't have to worry about. I have arranged with All West to have a buddy and to do some shore diving. I've never before been able to pull this off in advance. That's one reason I've picked the west end. The other primary considerations: it's near the island's best beaches,and it's relatively isolated. We'll rent a car so we can drive wherever when we've had too large a does of relative isolation.

Ondine:
It seems we almost need a forum for divers without diving partners. My husband doesn't even swim but he loves beaches and the warm tropical breezes, so he'll go nearly anywhere with me. We went to Saba not long ago. He enjoyed it as much as I did. We stayed at Orchid Cottage. Bequia is lovely though there aren't deep dives. The deepest were to 90 ft. Still, we both loved it. Bequia is a beautiful island in the Grenadines. The reefs are really healthy and there are tons of critters. It's the prettiest diving I've ever done. Dominica has good diving but there are no beaches. Well, that's not quite true. There is a hotel with a black sand beach but I know nothing about the diving near there. I don't remember the name of that hotel but it's probably on the net. Dominica is a beautiful island and is great for serious hiking. Several interesting tours are also available. Several places in Mexico are worth the trip but I think they favor the non-diver. The reefs just don't come close to those of Coz. However, there is decent diving if you stay away from Cancun and other particularly touristy areas. Most recently I set up a trip to Caracao. We're staying near Westpunt and I'm diving with All West. Not having a diving partner makes it advantageous to do lots of pre-planning that couples don't have to worry about. I have arranged with All West to have a buddy and to do some shore diving. I've never before been able to pull this off in advance. That's one reason I've picked the west end. The other primary considerations: it's near the island's best beaches,and it's relatively isolated. We'll rent a car so we can drive wherever when we've had too large a does of relative isolation.

When I first started diving my wife didn't dive, but I always found someone to buddy up with. All the places that I have ever dove have never required me to have a buddy before I went there. Sometimes my wife and I will gladly buddy up with another single. I'm not sure why you think that there is a problem with ending up at a dive location with just yourself? Just plan on an area to go and a DM will dive with you or other divers will let you buddy up with them.

Dive Safe,
Caymanaic

caymaniac:
When I first started diving my wife didn't dive, but I always found someone to buddy up with. All the places that I have ever dove have never required me to have a buddy before I went there. Sometimes my wife and I will gladly buddy up with another single. I'm not sure why you think that there is a problem with ending up at a dive location with just yourself? Just plan on an area to go and a DM will dive with you or other divers will let you buddy up with them.

Dive Safe,
Caymanaic

I've never had a problem getting a buddy. I did arrange it for Curacao because I wanted to be sure I could do some shore diving. Obviously, I didn't mention that in my post. Several years ago I went alone to South Water Caye in Belize. South Water Caye is a 12 square mile island and relatively obscure. My husband didn't think he'd enjoy such a quiet place. Considering that everyone was going to be doing a lot of diving, I agreed with him. I've gone other places alone since then though my husband has come to really enjoy the relaxing atmosphere of islands in general.

Back
Top Bottom