Systems Open as of 05/25/2009

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeandiver

Contributor
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
Ginnie and Manatee are open (Obviously :rofl3: )
I heard a rumor that Madison and Cow are now back open as of today.

Dove Manatee today. The system is STILL flushing out tanic water and is still quite dark (darker than normal... :D )

I need to double check the Cow and Madison rumors. :D

Oh , this assumes non-panhandler caves :rofl3:

Beano

Talked to some guys who dove Cow yesterday and they said it was great.

Oh, and the panhandle caves are still pumping strong :) The rivers are rising though, so some of the lower flowing river stuff will blow. Morrison is pretty ugly right now. Merrits Mill Pond is in great shape and will not be affected. Higher flowing river caves here will not likely be affected.

Cow is definately open !!! (smile)
And Little River is too... They just repaired the gold line up to the 1st tee. However the vis is pretty low (10-15 feet) with almost no flow.

Now if Peacock opens .... (wink)

We will be back to almost normal for down here.

Thanks!
Jean

And Little River is too... They just repaired the gold line up to the 1st tee.

Flooding of the cave systems is something fairly new to many cave divers,but losing the cave systems during spring was fairly common place. Please be cautious when entering these post-flood systems. What was before a benign,easy cave dive,now may be an advanced level cave dive due to large quantities of organic matter sucked into the systems,debris,and tannic water. People are anxious to go cave diving,but I would recommend treating the system as a place you've never been to before,and give it that extra bit of caution.

I will be heading back to Cave Country in 3 weeks and while I am hoping the Peacock is open by then, I plan on being quite cautious and selective.

I got just a touch of this pre-spring flood when my buddy and I hit Manatee for the first time. Until then I had only been in systems with really good nominal vis (Ginnie, Peacock, Little River) and the darkness and vis going in from Catfish put a different perspective on keeping one's reference to the gold line.

As a newer cave diver, your comments are welcomed.

Flooding of the cave systems is something fairly new to many cave divers,but losing the cave systems during spring was fairly common place. Please be cautious when entering these post-flood systems. What was before a benign,easy cave dive,now may be an advanced level cave dive due to large quantities of organic matter sucked into the systems,debris,and tannic water. People are anxious to go cave diving,but I would recommend treating the system as a place you've never been to before,and give it that extra bit of caution.

anyone been to telford?

i"d be willing to bet it's still nasty in there

I think that's probably a sure bet :D

OH , PEACOCK is NOW OPEN for DIVING ....
With the caveat that the vis is about 20 feet at most.
Karstdvr said it best...please use caution.

I will , fer sure.
I've been in Manatee a couple of times since it re-opened. Still a bit of tanic water in there to flush out.

Thanks!
Beano

Madison is open, well, was a few days ago, river was starting to creep in. The park ranger said it may not be open for long. viz was around 40-50ft, with a fine layer of silt over everything.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom